Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading to our lease outside Centreville Md yesterday around mid day and about 2 miles before the rest stop on 301, I noticed a deer standing on the rail road tracks on the right side of the road. This small doe's ribs were protruding out of her body, she could barely walk and looked like a zombie. I have never seen a deer so poor looking in my life. She looked like she was just barely holding on, stuggling to take steps. 1st time in that area I have ever seen that. Hope someone puts her out of her misery.

On another note, damn we need some rain. I took one step in our woods and every deer in a mile radius got up and started bolting. Wasnt hunting, just checking a cam.

Karl

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Sounds liike Chronic Wasting Disease, huge threat. Addressed in another thread somewhere on TF ..........be sure to notify your state game department

·
Registered
621 Posts
CWD is not to be taken lightly but there are alot of other possibilities, other diseases, injuries, and deformities.
I would agree that it still would be a good idea to report the siting.

Mark

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Be sure to report it with very specific location of where it was so the athourities can hopfully find the deer. Sounds like CWD to me also but you never know.

DEAN

·
Registered
117 Posts
Guys, please be careful about how you throw the term "CWD" around. CWD is very serious. Fortunately there has not been a confirmed case of CWD in Virginia, not sure on Maryland though. However, with the recent findings of CWD in West Virginia, the VDGIF is going to increase their testing for CWD this year. From the description about the deer, it sounds an awful lot like hemorrhagic disease. Most cases of hemorrhagic disease are seen in late summer and early fall, especially in times where there is little rain. Hopefully that is what it is. I would definitely contact the local game warden and let him know about this deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts