Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week BOE marine and I completed the installation of a pair of 7608xsv's with a B150m off set CHIRP thru hull and a GT50M-TM down VU/side VU transom mounted transducer. The next day, Linda and I set out for three days in the Solomon's. We left friday morning from Podickory point at 0800 and got a great view of two water spouts just south of the Bay Bridge. As we passed under the bridge they began to dissipate and rain began to fall. Two house later, we had checked into Zahniser's marina for a few nights. (great marina and facilities, and though pricy, the Dry Dock Restaurant is excellent for dinner.)

Anyway getting back to my post.., the next morning after breakfast we headed out to Point Patience above the Pax River bridge, to find S49.., a sub that lies sunk in about 120' of water. See part of the wiki statement below:

"The S-49 was apparently reacquired by the Navy about 1941, "as equipment," for use in experimental work at the Naval Mine Warfare Proving Ground, Solomons, Maryland. Shortly after being towed to Solomons from Baltimore (where the Navy had reacquired the submarine), the former S-49 foundered off Point Patience in the Patuxent River on 16 December 1942 and sank in 102 feet of water at: Position: Latitude 38 Degrees 19' 53.2" North Longitude 76 Degrees 29' 17.2" West or, on a bearing of 318.5 Degrees True, distant 525 yards, from the southern tip of Point Patience. The S-boat has remained on the bottom at that position to the present day...and is visited, on occasion, by Navy and recreational divers. Courtesy of R. S. Rayfield, Jr. Major, USMC (Ret)"

The wreak is clearly noted on the charts (wk) off Point Patience. After several passes with varied returns, I got an excellent image that clearly shows the conning tower and what appears to be the rudder aft. Since I just installed this new gear, I clearly have a learning curve with especially the sonar, before I could clearly comment on the performance of the Garmin gear, but so far I'm very happy. also..BOE marine did a great job with the install, especially Jim showing up at night with another guy after their regular tech had back problems and couldn't install the transducers when scheduled. I really appreciated BOE meeting my haul out schedule, and Jim and the other guy (sorry I forgot his name) working from 530 till 830 at night to make sure I could make my trip to the Solomon's the following day.

Hope you enjoy the pictures !!

Mickey

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Unreal what these new units can " see ". If you get a chance - check out the Maxwell wreck - just a touch NW of # 87.

Old wooden ship - shows up nice on sidescans. Get over it at good angle - you'll see open hatches.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Mickey - Looks like it didn't take too long to get that new side scan dialed in. Sounds like you and Linda had fun.

Its been way too long since we had a beer! We must keep missing each other at Deep Creek. Take care and hope to see ya soon.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice job. When I got my side scan I also tried to find that sub to learn how to use it. It is not easy on a weekend with current and boat traffic. You got it dialed in pretty well for just getting the unit.

Steve

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to run down to ship and compare my side images with the ones Shawn Kimbro posted on Light tackle, I was out last night also testing out the gear. Again, so far very satisfied with the performance..

Thanks Skip

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mickey - Looks like it didn't take too long to get that new side scan dialed in. Sounds like you and Linda had fun.

Its been way too long since we had a beer! We must keep missing each other at Deep Creek. Take care and hope to see ya soon.
Great hearing from you again. Give me a call the next time your around. Miss you guys at the marina. Hope all is well

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bottom Knocker;

I see you have the new enhanced side scan color feature. Love it !!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Mickey - be sure to send me GPS #'s of any " interesting " things you see.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do Skip ! Been out the last few afternoons but not much. I'm heading for Maxwell in a day or two. I'll be sure to let know know if I see something .

Mickey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts