Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a side scan sonar off ebay...anyone know anything about a dowty3500??? I think its made in england.......I have got to lay off the late night ebaying after a few cocktails lol. This one is an ouchie!!!!!!!! Capt, Joe

·
Registered
750 Posts
hey capn joe- i dont know about the side-scan but i do know what you mean about e-bay. my problem is , i dont need the cocktails,lol. does the side scan come with the transducer/s ? if not then i would be inclined to be worried about matchng it up since it is a brit machine. good luck either way-

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dont know about that unit,but I have a few others in my favorites.Damn,I was hoping to be the first kid on the block with a Tow Fish,LOL

I saw the Dowty 3700 listed for 15,000 tho.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was a hydrographic surveyor for a couple years, we used to drag them all over. What are you planning on doing with it? How are you going to process all the data you collect with it? Bad machines, will give you a great picture of the bottom, but you really have to know what you are doing. Good luck, with it hope it's not as much of a pain in the A$$ as the ones I used. Also Chilli from the board still works for my old company and might be able to help you out, or get you in contact with someone who can help. Dang that's a crasy purchase. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Hummingbird has made side-scan models for several years now. You can use two transducers, or, just the multi-view one. Lets you look down, left, right, or left and right at the same time. Mine only cost about $400, since it was only in black & white not color.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is a towfish device that drags 100-200' behind the boat for accurate survey data at depth.The Humminbird has limitations with its processer and ducer since it is mounted at the boat.You run a program to calculate image position vs. vessel position.

The Hummingbird works this way as well,but it only needs to calulate port or starboard up to 150' and thats in shallow water

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a dowty 3500 and it has a tow fish , and a lot of stainless cable and a drum, in addition to a screen that I think uses paper..24 volts .I want to hunt small hangs with it.............but dont want it to be user unfriendly.........Capt, Joe

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's mighty spendy for looking at bottom structure. If you're looking for bottom fish habitat I suppose it's a good thing, but I don't think it will help finding migrating schools.

Besides, aren't all the wrecks already marked?

I know the freshwater guys are having pretty good success finding brush piles, bottom structure and such with the Humminbird models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts