Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last yr @ this time I noticed crab pots being prepped and moved around, thought it was early. Soon afterward , Crabs express trucks riding by my place every day.. I see the pots moving around again. Looks like baskets of oysters going the other way..
I rode up the road yesterday to get 100# of seed.. Noticed some daffodil's blooming in a field just above the town of Mathews!
And I have some daffodil that are sending up blooms!

BTW, I feel the stopping of crab dreading has greatly helped out. I even had a old friend that had quit crabbing a few yrs ago ( he was going to move out of state) , buy a motor from me and is setting up new boat to crab again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Really? Flounder in mid-march? Last year was my first year really trying for flounder and I didnt have any luck until June. I don't need any spots, but a confirmation that they are around by mid march would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Really? Flounder in mid-march? Last year was my first year really trying for flounder and I didnt have any luck until June. I don't need any spots, but a confirmation that they are around by mid march would be appreciated.
Never met him in person , but I seriously doubt he is any BSer.
Know what you mean about flounder. My first yr fishing area,, It was pretty depressing to see Osprey flying by boat with keeper flounder and -my FEW bites are 6-8" fish.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can only speak for back river. I have not tried that early anywhere else. No BS here. Of course every year the temps are different and the time line will change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fair enough! I usually fish a bit north of there (york), but the timing can't vary by too much. I have done ok during the middle of summer but have struggled in the early spring and late fall with fishing targets. I plan on trying until I figure it out... :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
It was a lot easier 10 years ago. I had one day last summer that I could not even catch a croaker. That was impossible years ago. Hope to see you on the water.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John, I knew it was going to be nice and was at docks yesterday morning.
A pretty morning, creek was glass--- looking out at the mouth of Davis creek - it looked like waves rolling in at a Hawaiian surfing competition.
Hope you made it thru winter OK! Heard the mooring buoy area has some big girls showing. Sugar-toads soon .

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
With the predicted 70* temps for some of next week things will really start popping!! Until then, going to try for some Walleye in Little Creek Reservoir over the weekend. Come On Spring!!!!!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know , Corker over there at Little Creek res? ( great crappie fisherman) if so, Tell him I said, Hi ! hope he's well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the predicted 70* temps for some of next week things will really start popping!! Until then, going to try for some Walleye in Little Creek Reservoir over the weekend. Come On Spring!!!!!
Just learned about the walleye population in little creek. Do u do any good in there? Was thinking about giving that a try in about a week or two

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love LCR! I had "guide" the first 2times.. so learning curve was faster. Heard from some at ramp its hard to fish. ( never tried for walleye)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can only speak for back river. I have not tried that early anywhere else. No BS here. Of course every year the temps are different and the time line will change.
I usually catch flounder by the 3rd week of March but I didn't last year more like mid April. Wachapreague first and then Oyster late March. Temps are looking up so maybe an early start this year.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Three days of 70, might be a good time to start collecting some fiddlers! Couple more things to do on the boat and I am ready to go

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It was a lot easier 10 years ago. I had one day last summer that I could not even catch a croaker. That was impossible years ago. Hope to see you on the water.
I know the feeling. But I did have a good fall for rockfish (mostly under 30") in selected locations. So, I remain hopeful and anxious to get out on the water trying again.

Lots of turkey around the house right now. I'm also still seeing tundra swans which should head back north soon.

turkey.jpg

swans.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts