Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
GE II is good stuff.
Play around with the materials. Try a marabou feather top and bottom instead of sheep fleece. Cut stem 1 inch from top, tie in at base area and lightly pull the feather through the tie down wraps. Once the v meets, cinch down the thread. You can get a cool layered effect... chart/white, pink/white... It changes the fly slightly, but the marabou kicks like nothing else and it really is durable for a natural material.

·
Registered
302 Posts
GE II is good stuff.
Play around with the materials. Try a marabou feather top and bottom instead of sheep fleece. Cut stem 1 inch from top, tie in at base area and lightly pull the feather through the tie down wraps. Once the v meets, cinch down the thread. You can get a cool layered effect... chart/white, pink/white... It changes the fly slightly, but the marabou kicks like nothing else and it really is durable for a natural material.
Woah, I did not get those instructions at all. Let me officially request this be added to the Pre-Tiefest Tying festivities. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just for the transition area ... so, the fleece that you wouldn't cut that lays on the bucktail.....just cut it and use marabou instead. Top feather chart... bottom feather white. You can layer the fleece that way too. Just like a bass bug. Same spinning to get it on the shank..
You cut the tip of the stem off so the individual fibers can flow more easily through the water.
I'll tie one up for you to see. Very very easy fly to tie. Should be more than one in everyone's box.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tony,
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't get it the first time either.
BTW, instead of using 2 different colors of fleece, it's easier to use white fleece and color the top half of the fly with a marker.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
btw - I use the GE siliclone and Jetdry as well.

Tony, trying to visualize your changes...

So here's one from last year - you're saying to use marabou in the transition area that's white? Does it lay mostly flat? Or is it more like a collar?

And then you use cactus chenille instead of sheep fleece under the silicone?

This one has been retired to the hall of fame, BTW.....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'll find one and post a picture when I get home.
Sometimes... yes I use trimmed estaz for a variety of reasons. I also use polar plus.
1) durability
2) it doesn't cast like a wet sock
Estaz is used in bob's rubber candy. Same idea...
Here's the thing, the instructions, via bobpop, detail the cutting of the material and design of the fly are 100% to imitate a mullet. We don't have mullet in the mid bay. The siliclone is quite impressive in design and execution. A mullets #1 defense is to jump. Hence, bob made a fly that orientates itself to the surface by trapping air inbetween the trimmed sheep fleece and the silicone. This barrier doesn't last forever though. Fleece is a natural material and it will absorb water esp after a few fish. As the fly gets squeezed via the fishes mouth, the air is pushed out and water replaces the void. THe fly now becomes very heavy with the added h20. It's a simple solution to a problem I had with the way I use this fly. I wouldn't leave the dock without a clone. Bob's fly is as close to perfect as you can get for his aplication. The application in this area is slightly different.
Steve F made the "simpleclone".....this is the same thing. Just a few minor adjustments to tailor it more to how I fish it.
I want it to dart back and forth like a stick bait when I strip it. I want it to hover over the bottom... neutral vs floating.... when I pause it. A zara spook for your fly rod... Thats' where the marabou comes in. It breathes with the current.. you don't need to strip to impart action. The feather lays flat. It isn't a palmered. Leave it the same length you would leave the fleece.
Chris, that one in your picture is on a long shank hook and it is trimmed very very tightly. Estaz is a viable option as a replacement material. You'll get the same action without the extra tying time. Also, the ones I tie on are a perfect bend/trey combs hook. I'd beef up the tail and tie it on a shorter shank hook. Why put 5 applications of fleece when you only need 3?

edit... timeflies... HA.. you'll get your wish at tiefest. The inventor himself will tie it for you... why settle for an "imitator" when you can have the real thing... :)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Awesome. Thanks Tony. Post that shot, and I'll give it a try tonight.

Back before I was using the fly rod, I used the Spook a lot. That's why I love this fly - ZiggityZag! The green one above had that perfect neutral buoyancy. Worked on a sinking line with mono leader, It would just hover over the rocks. With flouroleader on a floating line, it runs just under the surface.

I guess I'll spend some time at the vise tonight. CCA wants flies, the Scouts want flies...Geesh!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,
Just caught the thread and thought I would give you something to try if you like ZARA SPOOKS. Get a long shank hook and make it a bend back. Then tie a siliclone with it and add a weight at the hook bend. Retrieve it by snapping sharply and watch out! Great weedless fleye. I also tie in a silicone week guard. Lots offun tofish.
BobPop

·
Registered
302 Posts
BobPop,

Do you have a picture of the bendback clone somewhere? And do you just weight the bend with some lead wraps and coat it with epoxy?

Looking forward to meeting you at Tiefest

·
Registered
222 Posts
I, too, developed an easy clone type fly using cactus chenile and only 1 bunch of wool. I'll show you at WCO at the pre-Fest tying session if you're interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts