Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mean how much can the bay actually deal with?
Is this years mud going to choke the entire bay north of Breezy and turn it into a dead zone?
How much of a layer will be deposited on the bottom? 1"? 2"? more?
Will it recover this year? next? or will it take longer?

Sorry for all the questions but, I can't be the only one extremely concerned.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sediment control is an essential part of keeping the bay clean. BUT- folks in the construction and farming business claim draconian(reasonable) sediment control regulations are too expensive and will hurt the business, thus slowing the economy, thus driving down the standard of living for all of us. It's really very simple- the choice is clear-clean water or economic recovery? Everybody wants clean water but nobody wants to pay for it. When the lobbyists for the homebuilding industry tell the folks in Annapolis that more stringent sediment control measures will add 10% to the cost of a new house, how do you think the folks that have the power to legislate react? Do you want to be the legislator responsible for sponsoring the "Job killing sediment control bill"? In these current times? Or the bill that raises food costs due to farmers having to spend more time and $$$ controlling runoff? Joe six pack don't give a **** about water quality, he wants his cheap ground beef and chicken tenders for his kids, and $2/gal gas for his '96 F-250 4x4. I was in the residential and commercial land development industry for 20 years. Trust me-the sediment and erosion control inspector is about as popular on a construction site as a case of genital warts. The inspectors work for the county govts. If the county exec. is a "pro-business" guy, how much is he or she gonna back up the folks in the field? All it takes is a phone call from a connected developer, and suddenly the inspector is getting the message that he/she needs to "go along to get along". Trust me, I've seen it first hand a million times. It's just the way things work.
Pat in Joppa
I know all that you just posted is more or less fact but, if Alaska, Florida, and some other states that have enacted powerful pro fish and pro environmental laws I don't see where we can't step up to the plate.

My whole political theory is for single term limits (eliminating career politicians) and make them maybe 5-6 (or whatever) years therefore elected officials can make the right, decisions and not the popular ones and not have to worry about being elected again...Also limiting campaign spending therefore leveling the playing field and eliminating lobbyists...I know what planet do I think this is going to work on but, I can dream can't I?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts