Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fished it for cobia this year, i have not seen any reports from this area???????

·
Registered
702 Posts
is that a doable run from windmill. would it be equal to running to say the cell from windmill. thanks for any help.

pepsi man

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it is about the same run. so i was told anyway, i dont have the #'s yet but i will when i get back down to fish[excited]

·
Registered
135 Posts
From Stingray Light take a 100 degree heading. You will run smack into it. There are many humps and channels to choose from to set your slick. I have caught several Cobia in that area. Mid July through August seems to be the best time. I have caught mostly small ones there with the the largest in the 30 lb. range. I have only fished that area about a half dozen times over the past few years so I don't feel like I have given it a fair chance. I am sure there are some large ones around. The flats and channels there seem like they should be just what Mr. Brown Suit is looking for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I fished just north of there last Friday and Saturday, all I got were bass and blues. I believe that when the small trout show up (any time now) the large predators will be close behind. give it a shot, not much pressure in that area.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=37.5399354396&lon=-76.0128214454&scale=200000&zoom=50&type=0&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=3200825&CFTOKEN=39075096&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS

the artificial reef that looks like a parallelogram is the general location. Croaker have been thick in the entire area past couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Did anyone try Silver Beach for cobia? I tried and didn't have any luck but saw a boat hooked up with what appeared to be a large fish.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had not been able to get down as of yet but that will change this weekend[excited]

·
Registered
702 Posts
Got me wanting to try for some cobia. Has anyone tried the silver beach area yet. Coming from windmill pt. think this would be my best place to search. Am going saturday, weather looks great for running across. Anyone w/ info please share.

pepsi man

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ive given it my best rookie shot the past two weekends
1st weekend- Got over and found a nice ledge to set up on. Put chum (frozen) on bottom, and put the baits out. about 25 minutes after setting up, a spot on a fishfinder rig got nailed, and we boated a 27 in. cobia! We really thought it either be a good day, or we'd sit there the rest of the time--- we sat there the rest of the day w/o much activity. While waiting for the tide to turn around, we did some exploring, and after re-setting up, we had a good run, once again a live spot, but suspended about 10' under a bobber. Got the bobber to the boat, and in attempt to remove it, broke the line. All in all a very good weekend for some rookies.
Heres a bog question that sprung up from that trip- both of our runs came within 45 minutes of setting the hook...was it the boat noise? the fresh chum? any other ideas?
last weekend- tide and wind complete opposites, fought it for a while, and after having our baits get tangled around the chum pot the second time, we gave up and went flounder fishing.

Didnt feel like fighting/ paying for eels, but that may help. the main baits Ive used are live spot, croker, and bluefish, and cut bunker. Take plenty of bait, the rays and sharks can wipe you out quick- we were lucky and didn't get hit too bad (couple body-less spot) but talked to some other boats who got skated and sharked to death. I may try it again, but will be sure to plan my trip around the tide and winds cooperating.

Good Luck
JP
"KwikRelease"

·
Registered
702 Posts
JRocket, thanks for the reply. As it stands now we are rolling out of Henry's creek at 530 for the run across. This will be my first attempt but have a veteran going w/ me on the cobes.

thanks
pepsi

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So far this year I have gone ¼ in the Silver Beach/Hungar’s Creek area on the cobia. The one catch was about 4’ - probably 35lbs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pepsi,
You heading out Sat or Sun? I doubt Ill be able to get my act together in time to go Sat, but Sun is definatley a possibility, if SWMBO lets me out.......again... Ive got the cobia bug, and lookin for that big one!

JP
"KwikRelease"

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am fishing both days. one day for the cobia and one for the macks. Going to pick the best day for the cobes so keeping a close eye on the wx right now. Sat has gone from nw to ne, still only 5 knots, but chance of storms saturday.
That is not good in a cc.[grin]
Will keep you posted jrocket if you want to hook up.

pepsi

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ill give ya a shout on the radio Sat, still havent figured out my plans yet- weatherman cant make up his mind, now W on Sat and E on Sun... neither great for a N/S flowing tide [sad]... if hes right [excited]

JP
"KwikRelease"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts