Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started the primer coat but had to stop because of the temps; I look forward to priming and painting this Spring. I only have the strakes left, touching up the inside and the lower hull outside. Easy compared to everything else. Thanks Tom and Chris for your suggestions. Noted. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Jim,

Tolman building going even slower now. No heat in the plastic shed causing viscosity problems with the epoxy. Have you dropped the Mary Grace in for a run yet? Dont think I could stand it not to give her one run. Have you registered her yet? Wondering what hoops you have to jump through for MD on a home built.

Later Bob

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bob - Don't rush it. However, you can use a 23k BTU kerosene heater ($120) and a fast cure epoxy if you don't want to wait. Northern has a 50k BTU heater on sale for $150. My 23k BTU heater plus 9k Buddy Heater wouldn't get me to a decent temp for painting but would have been fine for fast-cure epoxy because you only need 40 degrees. When I dial the 23k heater down, I get as much as 12 hrs. on a tank of kerosene. The garage I was using this past week was way too large to heat without a large wood or pellet stove so I plan to wait. The DNR Website has a form to complete for home-built boats. They like having pictures but it's pretty easy. All that said, take your time and enjoy the build. Very few people will understand why it takes awhile to build a boat although the next time, you could build your same boat in 1/3 the the amt. of time. It also has to do with production facilities and processes vs. home facilities, little/no help, curing times and things that get in the way... like a job and family (a good thing). I timed my build to coincide with my impending retirement, Oct of this year and will beat that by 6 mos. I have a little hardware left to install and two drain plugs but that's maybe 1/2 hr. of work total and some 3M 5200. Incidentally, Loews sells 5200 for $9.98 vs. more than double that at the boating stores. It came in handy towards the end for things like mounting hardware. I loaded and hauled more than one ton of brazilian "Yellow Heart" hardwood flooring (Lumber Liquidators) up to the second floor of our new house the last couple of days, which is more like the third floor since my foundation is almost 5 ft. high. (flood plane requirement). Yellow Heart is 42% harder than white oak and is an unusual wood - something I wanted. I bought them out at at less than 1/2 price for finished flooring. Jim

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Jim, I know thats a job hauling all that lumber up the stairs. Not looking forward to this spring when I need to haul and stack a cord of fire wood out to my work place, stack on boat, throw off boat then haul and restack on the porch. Think I am going to rig up some heat lamps and I have ordered some sys3 silver tip epoxy to give a try. Looks to be the thinnest I can find for now. I had some problems wetting out cloth with the regular sys3. I am trying to get the bottom finished so I can set everything up on the building jig.

Some place you were talking about a kayak. I had a wilderness tarpon 14 for a summer, sit on top type. Great fishing rig. Sitting and fishing position didnt agree with me. Keep an eye out for places selling off there rental fleet. I got mine at the place in annapoliss.

Bob

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim, I know thats a job hauling all that lumber up the stairs. Not looking forward to this spring when I need to haul and stack a cord of fire wood out to my work place, stack on boat, throw off boat then haul and restack on the porch. Think I am going to rig up some heat lamps and I have ordered some sys3 silver tip epoxy to give a try. Looks to be the thinnest I can find for now. I had some problems wetting out cloth with the regular sys3. I am trying to get the bottom finished so I can set everything up on the building jig.

Some place you were talking about a kayak. I had a wilderness tarpon 14 for a summer, sit on top type. Great fishing rig. Sitting and fishing position didnt agree with me. Keep an eye out for places selling off there rental fleet. I got mine at the place in annapoliss.

Bob
I am in the market for two kayaks and want to make the right decision, no rush. My wife got a call from a friend this weekend that was selling one, so I was boning up quickly, having limited knowledge. We didn't buy the one she was selling. I was on TDY in Michigan last year with a lady that teaches kayaking and I learned a little bit when the plane was grounded. Our group went to an outdoor store like Cabellas and I quizzed her about kayaks. I'm thinking that we may end up with two different styles, a fishing kayak for me and another type for my wife. I have great fishing and crabbing a short paddling distance from my new house and I want to figure out how to crab from a kayak for the challenge and the excercise. Do you work someplace that you commute to by boat and heat with wood? Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jim, Good day today putting down cloth on the inside of the bottom. Got one of those propane tank heaters, so fired it up this morning and let warm for acouple of hours then kept my epoxy under the heat lamp, cloth wet out went well so will keep the heat going untill later. Next will be to flip the bottom and tape the keel after todays epoxy sets up. Then get to assemble parts on the jig. That will be the good part to see in some sort of a boat shape.

I work for CBF at the Fox Island Education center down in Tangier sound. Yup only heat is the wood stove.

Bob

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob - My wife and I attended the Fall CBF event at their HQs on the beach. Were you there? Great to hear that you are moving forward and you'll be able to use that heater down the road. Working through the various challenges can be quite satisfying. Way to go. That cloth you added today is critical because that's where water can remain and cause problems. I added a lot of epoxy on the adjoining frames/stringers below deck. It was obvious from your last pics that you have some skills. Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jim, No didnt make the Fall event, probably running a trip at Fox. Skills, HA HA thats a good one, not me, especially after today when I flipped my bottom and decided to remeasure my bottom mold and discovered one side is 1 inch taller than the other, guess I should have measured 4 times. So now one side of the bottom is 9.5 deg deadrise not the designed 8 degree deadrise. No biggie I will be able to force it down when I glue it to the stringers and transom. Maybe she will turn better to one side now.

Bob

·
Registered
134 Posts
Question about condensation from non-vented heaters:

I have a borrowed kerosene heater that I haven't used yet. My concern is condensation. Burning the kero would create large amounts of water vapor inside my "tent". The water has to go somewhere. I imagine some will be vented around the tent openings, but the rest will condense on the tent walls and perhaps on the boat itself, since it'll be colder than the air temp once the heater gets going. Has this been a problem for anyone?

I am building a Simmons Sea Skiff 18 just like Jims in a 10'x20' tent/portable garage I bought at Pep Boys. My build has slowed almost to a complete stop - just hard to muster the enthusiasm to go out in the cold tent in the evenings. The tent is far from air tight. I wonder if there's enough ventillation to reduce the condensation problem. I have two more interior frames to complete (the hardest ones up near the bow). With fastenting them, the outer stem, etc. I have a bit of woodworking to do, so won't need the heat for epoxy just yet. Obviously, I'd be concerned if the wood gets wet just before applying epoxy.

I'll post some more photos once I get the frames fastened.

Dan

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Dan - I never had any condensation problems using the same tent. With one 23k BTU heater, you can expect to raise the temperature between 10-15 degrees but not much more. I kept a thermometer inside. You'll need fast cure. I enjoyed lighting it up, heating it up and getting something done in the cold weather. Good luck. Jim

Am I reading that correctly? Have you cut your inner lapstrake frames? If so, you are on the home stretch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dan my tent building condensates when the concrete gets wet from rain water leaking under. I have to leave the door open for a day after rain to dry out. The other day the tent was wet inside but I fired up the heater and put down epoxy any way. The plywood was dry and no dripping on the wood. All seamed to go well. I am using system 3 due to there claim of no problems in high humidity. So far no problems. I can only get my temp up by about 15deg with my propane tank heater. I am using fast cure and only mix up to 12oz at a time. Also store my epoxy in an old cube freezer with a 10w bulb to keep warm and when I take my epoxy out for use keep it under heat lamp to stay warm. A real pain but gotta keep moving, would like to be fishing this summer.

How much epoxy are you figuring will go into your Simmons.

Bob

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jim - yes, I'm nearly finished cutting the inner frames. You were right, they have been a bit of a challenge, but manageable. I just got a small rabbet/chisel plane from my brother for Christmas. I'll use it for the last 2, but could have used it earlier. I've been using sharp chisels for the final fitting.

Bob - I haven't been keeping careful track. I think I've used between 2 1/2 and 3 gallons so far. From here on, I need to glue-up the gunwales, attach the frames, make the front deck, and coat the topsides inside and out. I'm guessing at least another gallon, but that's only a guess. I've also used some resorcinol and am thinking about using something other than epoxy to fasten the deck. I want to seal it, but have it removeable, not necessarily easily removeable, in case I ever have to get under there for repair or to add something. I've been using West, simply because it was what I had around when I started. I've been quite happy with it. I've used both slow and fast cure hardeners, and have the coating hardener on hand for coating the topsides. I used System 3 some time ago putting together a kayak kit and was quite pleased with it, as well.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan - You might consider 3M 4200 for the deck if you want to remove it later. I just bought two drains for either side of the motor box into the transom. I made the rear sections of my deck completely removable. One more thing I plan to add is an electric bilge pump. Jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks. 4200 sounds good. That's exactly the kind of info I need.

By the way, your skiff is looking great! I don't know how you can wait until it's in the water. - Dan

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dan - I know that this is going to be my favorite and I've had boats all my life. I named her after my first... Mary Grace (I). You're right, I cannot wait to launch but I want to give her a proper paint job first. Trust me that she will be babied and nutured from here on. I love this boat. Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts