Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the board, and also just starting out on the fly side. I've been looking for a pic and/or recipe for a rattlin' fly called a Simon's Special. I've been told its originator frequents this board. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hookerfly :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Simon Special

Welcome to TF Hooker-

Simon is one of my fishing buddies and a great fly fisher. He reads TF but has not posted yet.

Simon originated this fly many years ago and has caught numerous species in a number of locations around the world with this productive fly. Stripers cannot resist it.

The fly is tied on a 60 degree jig hook and is usually tied is sizes 2/0 to 5/0.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

Chartreuse over white is the most popular with two white hackles splayed outward on each side. There is some silver flashabou in between the layers of bucktail and some have strands of lateral scale flash on the sides. There is a large rattle fit into some body braid and lashed to the hook shank. In the original SS the rattle was coated with a coat of epoxy and exposed. Later the rattle was also covered with estaz grande.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,WB! I read your description to TF, but, I have a couple of other ???s. Is that an epoxy head or led jig head? And, what is the material in front of the hackles below the bucktail, angel hair, wing 'n' flash?

Thanks,
HF

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Hooker-

The thread head is coated with epoxy. The material in front of the hackle is chartreuse estaz grande. The only weight is the medium dumbbell eyes. The fly runs very true because of the jig hook and the rattle on the bottom acts as a rudder. Since the hackle is splayed outward, the fly has tremendous action when stripped.

Capt Harry-

A little north of you about the only striper fishing right now is at warm water discharges. The Susky Flats, where many would be fishing now, is cold and muddy. Many guys are doing their fishing surfing the internet fishing boards.

Every year we remain optimistic but three out of four years now the flats are muddy in March and it is well into April before lure and fly fishing are effective. It did not used to be that bad. Years ago the flats would clear up much quicker after heavy rains. The grass was heavier then and there was not as much black top and development north of the flats in those days. The runoff today seems much more severe.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Original Simon Special

Found a pic of the original Simon Special tied many years ago before Simon added the estaz grande over the rattle. This may help in seeing how the fly is constructed. This fly is on a 90 degree jig hook. Either 60 degree or 90 degree can be used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts