Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been meaning to post this a while ago, and since I got blown out today, here goes...

A note pad and pen just might save your butt.

On a crabbing trip this fall, I experienced a mechanical breakdown on the water that rendered my boat powerless. Luckily it was a sunny day with calm seas. I did not have a towing membership at the time, and needed to reach out for assistance over the VHF and cell phone. I ended up in contact with multiple towers that asked me to repeat my GPS coordinates, vessel numbers, and proximity to land points several times. There were several call back phone numbers that they gave me, and also different break downs in prices and times. Eventually after I could factor all the information together, I was able to select the best towing option at the best price. This was made possible by the pen and clip board I take with me on crabbing trips to help me record number of crabs etc...

My experience above was low pressure, and not an emergency, but I got to thinking. What if this happened during really bad weather, or maybe while I was taking on water, or in the channel with a large ship approaching, or maybe while someone on my boat was having a medical emergency? The ability to quickly provide important information such as locations and other vidals without making mistakes could be crucial. Being able to list out the instructions that the coast guard is giving you, the times that they are estimating… trying to remember all of these things would only cloud your thinking more in a real crisis. Imagine trying to keep the 4 things straight in your head that the ER doctor told you over the phone to do to keep your buddy alive until help could reach you.

Far fetched... unlikely... worry wort kind of stuff. Maybe. But a pen and paper has become a required part of my safety equipment.

Norman

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Pens dry out, run out of ink, and ink can become hard to read if it gets wet. A regular old #2 pencil works great. You can even write on the fiberglass dashboard in a pinch. It will stay there until you clean the boat at the end of the day..

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Pens dry out, run out of ink, and ink can become hard to read if it gets wet. A regular old #2 pencil works great. You can even write on the fiberglass dashboard in a pinch. It will stay there until you clean the boat at the end of the day..
---BOTH posts top notch Info --Pencils sometimes are forgotten, as a worthy Tool on any boat , but borrowed by all & never Returned --geo.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
During my recent experience waiting for a tow boat to show up, I placed several phone calls. Not having a pad and paper to write down the numbers was a real problem. Luckily my phone allows me to take numbers down and enter them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just another little thought. A grease pencil is a great thing to have for any type of writing. It will write on just about anything paper, windshield, fiberglass, and will come clean with a little water and a towel. The other great thing about the grease pencil is it will write even on wet surfaces unlike the pen or pencil. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Not just for safety- paper and pencil will make you a better fisherman if you take notes during the day-then transfer them to your logbook ;-).

Thanks for posting :thumbup: - a simple but very important tip :yes:.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I got to thinking. What if this happened during really bad weather, or maybe while I was taking on water, or in the channel with a large ship approaching, or maybe while someone on my boat was having a medical emergency?
In situations like that, you go yo your VHF and push the DSC Emergency button.
You do have a DSC capable VHF, don't you?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I second the DSC VHF functionality.

Hit the button, GPS #'s are sent other boats in the area get a position report with your location. In theory it's a great idea.

Anyone ever use it? I'm not having any luck, sending / recieving position reports using DSC.. only tried one other boat though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.