Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with I have no connection with BFG Lures. (http://www.bfgtackle.com/)

But I did learn how to catch fish using BFG tandems, teaching myself...

I started with my (new to me) first boat back in '98 and only ran 4-6 boat rods, I had a couple spoons out, and a few single shads on jig heads, and a few Stretch +25 off the back. I caught a few big fish, it was fun, but a lot of work ! Lots of no fish stretches ...

A few years later I started running a couple BFG tandems in the mix, and they seems to pick up fish frequently, so I bought some more ...

I then got aluminum outriggers for my 20' Trophy, and ran 3 tandems off each side and one wwwfb spoon in the middle.
I caught a good number of fish, but most always off the outside clip. I fished a few MSSA tournaments with all BFGs and caught tons of fish, but the biggest only 43" never make the cut...

I then switched over to planer boards, and easily run 6 lines off each side, and 2-4 off the boat... and catch lots of fish.
I run a combination of lures, but still can't say enough about BFGs and here is why,

BFGs have no hair tangle issues like a parachute, so easy to deploy (but you don't get the same pulsating attraction either).
You can buy a 4oz, 6oz , 8 oz , 10 oz , 12 oz and 16 oz , and run them all the same length , and reach variable depths.
They are super easy to fish for a beginner, just unwind, clip on, and let out. And of course 2 baits are better than 1...
They just are super simple for a first time fisherman to use, and they work. Just read the back of the package for estimated depths.

My spread this year will be tandem chutes, mini-umbrellas off the boards, and of course a few BFGs in the mix.

I just like their product, it has worked for me in the past, and figured I'd say something positive .... oh, and I can't stop thinking about rockfish season !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
No doubt BFG's catch fish.

One word of advice for BFG rigs and any crimped lure. Be sure to inspect the loop at lure often. It will chafe / wear from inside - which is tough to see. Along comes a big fish and loop cuts through.

I remember a guy bad mouthing BFG over VHF radio - the loop broke after he says he had caught around 20 Rockfish over three trips. Now , that crimp held fine but loop wore through - yet he blamed BFG. Blame really is on him not checking for chafing.

I use knots on my lures rather then crimps and will retie after 3-5 regular fish or after a single big one. Only takes 10 seconds - lose a big fish to chafed knot / loop , you'll be cussing 10 times as long.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I agree about the BFG tandems. They do catch fish. Their skirt is more similar to a bucktail in size and pretty maintenance free, much easier than your basic parachute that you have to clean and comb through often. I would not mind them using a little bit heavier lb test than they use. Seems a little thin. I bought a couple 6, 10, 14, and 20 oz ones to cover the weights. The 6 and 10's use small shads on their longer lines, which I tend to use more in the fall, but elephants do eat peanuts also.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great point Skip !

On the same note ... always run your leaders between your fingers after you catch a big fish and check for abrasion / nicks !

Have a few extra tandems around and swap the bad one out !! Depending on where the nicks are and how old the leader is, I either CUT it right then and there to remove the bad spot, or tie the entire rig in a knot and drop it in my bucket to restring once I have free time or get home. I often get home with a pocket full of fluorocarbon leader, a couple three way swivels, and a bucket of chutes or gigs that need to be tied again.

You will only have to leader a fish right up beside the boat, only to have it snap before the net - JUST ONCE , to learn that lesson.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've tried BFGs over the years and I just don't catch as well with them as compared to chutes or regular buck tails. Don't know why but that's how it seems to work on my boat. Must be something I'm not doing right.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
All of the store bought tandems work well if deployed properly. Word to the wise and remove the crimps and re-tie the knots. I have bought many and some returned as singles after fighting fish. The loops and crimps looks great upon inspection but most times they fail if a fish is strong enough. Take a few more minutes and cut the crimp sleeves off and re-tie the expensive rigs.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
One of the tandem makers at the fishing fleas uses loop protectors. I wish others did the same. I've bought from him for several years and the rigs are top notch. I also started using loop protectors for any crimping that I do. The pack sold at my local fishing shop has them in 4 inch lengths. I just cut them to the small size that I need.

protector.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts