Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my boat has a single side band radio , i have never used it and understand you have to have a license or certificate to operate one . could someone please educate me .

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Yes
only Vhf's ,epirbs, & radars are exempt for "voluntary"vessels

2. Section 80.13 is revised to read as follows:

80.13 Station license required.

(a) Except for those excluded in paragraph (c), stations in the maritime service must
be licensed by the FCC either individually or by fleet.

(b) One ship station license will be granted for operation of all maritime services
transmitting equipment on board a vessel.

(c) A ship station is licensed by rule and does not need an individual license issued
by the FCC if the ship station is not subject to the radio equipment carriage requirements any
statute, treaty or agreement to which the United States is signatory, the ship station does not
travel to foreign ports, and the ship station does not make international communications. A ship
station licensed by rule is authorized to transmit radio signals using a marine radio operating
in the 156-162 MHz band, any type of EPIRB, and any type of radar installation. All other
transmissions must be authorized under a ship station license. Even though an individual license
is not required, a ship station licensed by rule must be operated in accordance with all
applicable operating requirements, procedures, and technical specifications found in Part 80.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts