Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most of you will agree that this fall season was exceptional. I personally had several very good days, but Saturday 12/27 I had my only skunk of the season. I fished just north of Smith Point between 64 and 65 and never even had a touch. I know the water temperature dropped after the cold snap we had last week, and I was wondering what changes any of you made (if any) to your spread to adjust. I run 12 lines and usually have an even split of 6 tandems and 6 umbrellas. I have never used single parachutes because I felt the more baits in the water the better. How many of you run a few singles and have they been productive? Also I usually run half tandems and half umbrellas on my planer boards, and half and half on my boat rods. I've heard of some who only run single and tandems on the planers and all umbrellas on the boat rods. Could I have done things differently or was it just my turn to get skunked. I had a great fall season and am not to disappointed, it was a great day to be on the water, but I think we always want to catch just one more. So what's your favorite bait, single parachute, tandem, umbrellas, or ... all of them?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I fished that area on Saturday and we had 5 bites and 3 that came tight @ 24,32, and a 35.

It was a tough bite. Caught our fish working east west across going from 50 to 120 most of the bait and fish where in 70 to 100 and they where very deep.

All deep umbrellas did all the catching. Total weight of umbrella 9 oz parachute and 20 to24 ounces of weight. We also caught the biggest fish on the wireline. It was down in the 35 to 40 ft water column.. We did have one on the spoon up top but it shook loose. Also had a fish on the umbrella that came off after 15 seconds. I think there was a lot of small fish around trying to eat the larger baits?

Dont get down on yourself it was a tough bite yesterday!

Good Luck next time:thumbup:

Phil(lily):D

·
Registered
158 Posts
To answer your question all of them...Saturday i was right with you...I caught 6 fish within 400-500 yards of red#64..Caught 8 total for the day... Ran 14 rods lines in on west side of channel heading to #64 had three in the boat before we got to buoy...trying to remember what lines caught...2 fish on chart. 20" umbrella... 75' braid to a 16 ounce inline attached directly to umbrella,16" leader to a 4 ounce chart. chute with a 9" shad........1 fish ate a tandem chutes off the boat 220' of mono to 3 way to 5' leader to 6oz...other leg has 10' leader to 3oz. chart...2-ate a single white 4 oz. chute off boards 100' of mono from rubberband..1 ate a single 6oz. chute 80' of mono to rubberband off boards....other 2 fish ate tandems off the boards....i believe both chart. back 60' from rubberband...One little trick that made me look real good to my two man crew....I marked about 6-8 fish about 25-30' down..I grabbed my deep umbrella rod and jigged on the troll..You know giving it some big speed and depth changes and one of them fell for it..pretty cool..Tried it once or twice more but didn't succeed. But something to think about on a slow day......GL Donnie B............

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I fished the exact same area and did about as good as you did. No big deal, sometimes the skunk happens.

-JB

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Since the lures and spread you are using has caught before - my guess is you did not go over any feeding fish.The colder water makes Rock less likely to feed alot.It was a very tough bite Saturday for most boats.You can pick from 100 reasons why the bite was slow.

FWIW: I mix up singles on one side and tandems on the other until the fish are hitting.Never hurts to try something very deep or very shallow.Slowing up a touch in colder water seems to help.We tried to troll around 2.6-2.8 knots - on a paddlewheel.

Skunks happen to everyone.I would be more concerned if every boat out there caught 15-25 fish and you did not.Most people I talked to had none or only 2-3 fish for all day.Some were still out at 4:00 pm fishing - with nothing in the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts