Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the sinker thread got me thinking. Are most rigging the sinker as a fishfinder, using circle hooks, tight drags and letting the rod holder hook the fish? If so why the fishfinder rig??
Fishfinder rigs are designed to be fished with no drag and let the fish run with it without the pull of the sinker. With the tight drags, there aint much run so wouldn't it be better to rig it with the sinker on very end like a standard bottom fishing rig??? It would be easier to cast and the bait would stay up off the bottom a little and the sinker is not sliding around on the lighter main line but is tied or loope hung on 60 or 80 lb leader.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think either way is fine. I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two setups. I like a fishfinder rig b/c I can change out my sinkers according to which size I need for a particular hole. When I fish in really shallow water I will put on a 3 ounces
and the bigger stuff on the deeper holes. I don't like overdoing it when it comes to weights. Slinging out 10-16 ounces in 10 feet of water is overkill to me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought. I use a large loope on the end of my bottom rig so it is easy to change out weight's. I am with you on the lighter in the shallower water. There are a few sections of the potomac that is mucky and near grass. I have noticed I get more bites on the bottom rig then the FF rig in those conditions. I think having the bait 6 to 8"" off the bottom helps as the fish dont have to scoop it up out the muck.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What keeps your leader line on a bottom rig from twisting around you main line? I use rip-cord braided leader and it's small and will wrap if it's not used like a carolina slip rig.
Moe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropper loop in 60 or 80 lb. Keep the dropper loop with the hook short, 6 to 8". The current will pull it out straight and the heavy mono is stiff enough to to make it want to run 90 deg from the main line. With the short dropper loop you get no gut hooked fish and you can fish a regular J hook, set the hook right away or let the rod holder do it. When you wind in the rig fast you will get the dropper/hook will wrap up a bit but thats from the bait spinning right along side the rig from being wound in. If you hold it over the side you will see the current pull the couple wraps out and bait/rig run like its suppose to. I have been using these simple rigs for over 20 years now with great results. Oh you can add as many dropper loops/hooks as you want but I run 2 at the most cat fishing.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hawkeye, do you use a 3 way swivel for the dropper? I like having the bait off the bottom, but worry about tangles.

Dayton

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No 3 way. only a regular swivel is on the main line. Use about 4 to 5' of 60 lb mono. Tie a dropper loop in the middle making the loop about 6" long. then add regular loops on each tag end. One for the sinker, one to attch to the swivel on the main line. I usally make one of the tags shorter then the other but make them at least 2 to 6" longer then the dropper that the hook goes on and make the tag end loops big enough to go around the biggest sinker you would be using. On the hook make sure you push the dropper loop thru the point side of the hook 1st so the hook point curls back towards the dropper loop. You can bend the mono at the eye to make it more straight but one good cat will do that for you. The short dropper will not tangle up and keep the cat from swallowing it. I suggest a 6/0 to 9/0 084 egale claw j hook as I have never tried circle on this rig and see no need to since I never get gut hooked fish on it. That was the main purpose of circles anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Come on now Virtual Catfishing Guide. Never herd of a dropper loop? Check this link out. For the tags I just use a surgeons loop. The dropper is not the strongest loop but thats why you use 60 to 80 lb test.

http://shoreangling4u.tripod.com/knotguide/id32.html

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Okay, I get it. I have tried tying that thing. Practiced in my break time at work. When I am done it looks similar to a baitcaster backlash! Guess, I am going to have to find some more free time.

Thanks Hawkeye, Hope to see you at some of the JRCC tournaments this year.

Dayton

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrap it 6 to 8 times with a softball size loop, split those wraps push that loop thru the middle of them, wet it down, hold the loop in your teeth and pull the tags tight. Loop should form at a 90 deg angle from the tags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts