Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can a guy find a sinker mold for 10 and 12 oz. round flat sinkers? I made one out of a napkin holder(wooden) but it wasn't big enough,just 9oz. and not enough circumference. I don't know if it will roll on bottom or not. I drilled a small hole in the napkin holder and inserted a small screwdriver for the line hole. That part worked pretty good. Any help 'preciated. Thanks
Moe

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Here, check out the "river" and the "flat bank" type. Any bait/tackle shop can order you one or shop on the net.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/products/sinkermolds_i.php?UID=2006020513191868.57.186.136

I use the "river" style or some call them "cushion" style.

I don't really like the 8 oz. If I need an 8, might as well use a 10.

Dayton

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the no roll style but it comes in 8oz. max. I want 10 and 12 ozs. I also like the flat round but don't like the wire on them had rather have a hole through them. Thanks
Moe

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I LIKE THOSE 8 OZ ONES TOO- THE OTHER DAY I GOT TIRED OF MAKING ACHORS SO I MADE MYSELF A MOLD FOR ROUND FLAT SINKERS........LIKE EM ?

I have 100's of pounds of lead left over from the race car balast.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good Jamie but I'm looking for 10oz. round with a hole for the line instead of a wire eye.
Moe

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
heres is am idea- last fall i used a 1 1/4 box end wrech as my mold- it was 9 ounces- i wonder what a 1 1/2 or 2 inch box end wrench be ? i will make one and weigh it on my ebay scales and get back to ya !!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan but won't the irregular edges cut you line?
Moe
ps Lead probably can't cut line anyway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey guy's my oldest son makes 12 oz. no roll type. He is 15 years old and enjoys making them, keeps him out of trouble too! I actually cut the aluminum mold for them and he molds them. We have made a bunch for petey bourne and I believe he has passed a few around the river. Got 50 sitting at the shop for eberwein. If you would like some he makes them for $1.00 a piece. Gonna make a mold for 14 oz soon. B-mail me if interested.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes they are the tear drop flat type but i put a eye in them. I was making them with the hole but it was rough on my line. (I use regular mono) I havent had any problems with what we've made so far. They have been put to the test too through eberwein and petey and us also. Havent had any negative feedback. Just some want a 14 ouncer and im working on that mold now. If you would like them with holes I can get my son to leave the eyelet out and I can drill them. I just had better luck with the eyelet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Also if anyone is interested we will be making 1/4 and 1/2 ounce gold silver buddies this week. My oldest son is doing this to support his little brothers racing habits! What an awesome kid!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey crash it might be smoother if you had a wire rod in the mold instead of drilling. Don't know for sure but that's what the factory molds have. The wire rod has to be greased or oiled so it will pull out easily. I've got a friend that had one with the eyelet type to pull apart when he made a cast. I just like the through hole type better.
Moe

·
Registered
392 Posts
Never had one pull out . Probably have a few hundred out there so far. Yes ive seen the rods, I just dont like the thought of that big an area sliding up and down my line. Just my 2 cents. That small area on the eyelet is much smoother and less to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah but when you cast you're putting all the pressure on that little narrow spot on your line making it weak. Where as if you had it through the sinker you would have a broader area making it stronger. I tell myself that anyway. Does that make sense to anyone out there?
Moe
ps I still want to try a few of yours.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am in the process of making a 14 ounce mold, I may use the wire( through hole) with that one and see how everyone likes it.

Also Dayton Steven made your dozen last night. Give me a call 804-994-3715 and I will get them to ya. Thanks

PS the # is right now[grin]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let me get all my figures straight and I will B-Mail ya. I bought the blanks in mass along with everything else to make them. Just so everyone knows this is going to our race team (not in my pocket)and both my boy's are actually making them themselves. They are earning their keep! Same with the sinkers. They are actually making an assortment of sinkers as I type. Also remember our phone conversation Big Kat? They are making like 200 of the baits I told you we were catching the flounder on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts