Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board and fairly new to kayak fishing. I have a OK Drifter (I belive it's the old model) and am 6'3" and 250lbs. When I use the Drifter I end up sitting in about 2" of water. Scupper plugs don't help much as the water seems to seep in after 30-40 minutes. I can live with sitting in water if necessary, but I wonder if the added water weight slows the kayak down. It feels like it, but it might be my imagination. Any thoughts? Also, do all SOT yaks take on water with a person of my size? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm 6'4'', 230 and have a 2004 Tarpon 160. I've had it in the water 5 times now, and everytime I end up with about 1 1/2" under my heels.

W/O the plugs in, the water is 1/2" below the lip, so I usually leave them in.

Whether this is normal or whether I need to loose the beer belly, I don't know. (But I'm hoping for normal!)[smile]

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got an older Drifter and sit in the water too. I glued the scupper plugs in under the seat and install pool noodle plugs every trip. Just get a big sponge. It's only is a hassle in March/April when the water is a bit cooler. I started saving for a new prowler or tarpon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The older (pre 2004) Drifters are notorious for having a wet seating area. The seat is almost below waterline. You can buy a special seat from STS that has a padded bottom to help raise your butt out of the puddle, but the sponge is about the only other option I know of.

Scupper plugs will work if you get them tight enough. Try cutting new ones from the pool noodle but make them thicker than you think you need. I use pool noodle made scupper plugs on my Caper and found that after a few months the foam compressed enough that it started letting water seep up and into the cockpit.

And yes that water is extra weight to paddle around. A gallon of H2O weighs about 8 lbs, but you don't have anywhere near that much in the cockpit I hope.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Speaking of scupper plugs, Knot Right gave me this idea:

Instead of buying them off of KFS or whereever, get the nerf ball refills at Bass Pro Shops. I think they were about three bucks for a bag of five. Initially, they're hard to get in, but they take the form of the hole immediately.

Actually, I've got three left over if anyone wants them...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best thing you can do foryourself is get a seat cushion. It raises you higher out of the water and makes it more comfortable on long trips. 20.00 or so for a self inflating one made by Crack Of Dawn. I think kayakfishingstuff.com has them or maybe hook1 @ kayakfishinggear.com

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the "old" drifter and the only real answer is to plug the scuppers and/or get one of those inflatable seats (turkey hunters use them) and fill it about 3/4 full of air and put it underneath the regular seat. The gel seats and pads work, but i found the air cushion seat to be by far the best solution because you can adjust the height by letting air out.
Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts