Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experience cleaning and bleaching a skull for mounting? ihave only heard of boiling them, never tried it and the bugs take too long. also, bleach or peroxide for whitening? all replys, as always are extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I believe BPS may have do it yourself kits at home for the full skulls.

The only time I ever did it was with the velvet style mounted on the wooden plaque where you cut just a small portion of the skull out. In that case, I just used a razor blade and a screwdriver to scrape everything off.

Why the hurry? I heard the one of the easiest ways was to bury it in a compost pile and let mother nature do the work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've boiled/scraped and then peroxided them for a few hours (get the #30 or 40 peroxide from a beauty supply store) with good results. I wrapped the antlers to protect them from the peroxide.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I like the idea of a skull mount. It is a lot less expensive than a shoulder mount and it will not show weathering like hide does.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
First of all a good mount (job) will not show weathered signs....Secondly It is true the most effective way and cheapest is to bury it in the earth....Be sure to cover the antlers or critters wil find it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Any sholder mount will show it's age eventually. Dust mites will eat on the hair, it will fade and years down the road, never look like it did on day one. Been there, done that with my grandads deer, dads deer and seeing mine do the same thing.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Oh.. I thought you were saying they fade soon. Years on down the road sure they get a little old lookin'.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a shoulder mount on the wall that I killed when I was 9 years old. I'm now 41 and with a little care each month my mount still looks great. I was told by the taxidermist to apply a small amount of Dippidy-Do to a rag and rub it in once a month and it works. I also dust of my mounts regularly.

DEAN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts