Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even a knock down might be time to winterize ? trolled 8 to 10 for 7hours little wind sea but not to bad marked fish close to the top and small pods of bait on the bottom in 40 ft . Might be feeding at night sure not during the day anyone had any luck? tight lines

·
Registered
71 Posts
maybe try.....

Did you change baits, colors and sizes every hour or so to try to find what they wanted? If you have marks, keep working them different ways to try to pull a few out. Sometimes they are picky sometimes they are not. You have to figure that somewhere in the tide cycle the fish are going to eat. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
fished between 8 and 10 for 5 hours picked up 3 39 37 25 2 on umbrella rigs 1 on 5oz parachute way back slow day but their still here

·
Registered
94 Posts
skunked as well

we fished from mosquito to the bridge .we had a knock down about an hour in , shook it loose, had another around 2:30 , 3 hard pulls and he broke the end eye of the rod , im mean destroyed it , had one more arond 4:30 , broke a faulty 80 lbs leader on the 9 in. storm shad . long day with alot of bad luck try again next weekend .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rod Repair

A guy redid one of my surf rods, Good Job. They had his Flyer's at Green Top. He lives on I think it was Rual Pt. Rd.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks for the reply , this is my first year fishing the rapp , i grew up fishing out of lewiseta on the potomac and ussually use rw sport shop but dont know when i will make it up that way again in the near future, ill check it out j

·
Registered
420 Posts
On loosing fish, we all naturally loose some when the hook comes out of them, many are just lip hooked with only skin, no bone or cartelage. Thats natural to happen. But for equipment failures, these are all mostly preventable. 80 lb leaders or swivels don't break unless they are old or tied on wrong. Rod tips don't break unless they were faulty or the drag was set lock tight. As we all get more experience catching and loosing fish, we learn to eliminate loosing fish due to equipment failures. With all of the money spent on the boat and fuel, don't skimp on equipment. But good stuff.

On trolling over fish and them not biting, there are charters who troll right next to me over the same fish all day, they catch 20, I catch 2 (or none sometimes). I strive to learn what they are doing and I try to copy them, and get better.

You are doing the right things, getting out is a good step, asking questions and learning are good steps, its is all part of catching more fish.

Best of luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
well the leader was brand new and was crimped at 10 foot long , i still have 5 feet on the planer so its not a knot failiar. and i checked the drag after it happened and could turn the spool by hand so i guess it was jammed .i dont have the best equipment , but i do with what i have .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts