Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was torn between launching at Buzz's or launching at Point Lookout. Mike at Buzz's thought it would be crowded this weekend, I didn't feel like fishing in a crowd, so I ended up launching from the Bay side of the Point Lookout causeway at 9:30am. I knew it was going to be a tough day because I forgot the big bucktail I wanted to troll, forgot my good wader belt (had a crummy back up in the car), forgot to put on sunblock, and wasn't sure how long the charger on my fishfinder battery was going to last. At least there was only a light west wind, so the water was really calm:

I started off trolling a 5" pearl Storm shad in about 12-15ft of water as I headed toward the jetty the Bottom Knocker mentioned. Another boat and some shore fishermen beat me there, so I turned around and headed toward the oyster sanctuary in front of the fishing pier. I trolled around the oyster sanctuary for about an hour, switching from the Storm shad to a 1oz chartreuse parachute with a 6" chartreuse shad. Interestingly, I didn't see any signs of an oyster reef on my fishfinder. The water around there was about 18-20ft deep, and the bottom was fairly flat. It's a big area, so I might've missed it. I caught a number of nice bluefish and stripers there a few summers ago, so I wonder why they were there.

I still didn't have any hits, so I started trolling toward deeper water. This time I switched to a Stretch 25, and I trolled from 20ft to 30ft. Apparently, the Stretch actually made it to the bottom at my cruising speed because it had snagged some sea squirts.

My fishfinder battery died around noon, but I had spotted some scattered marks very close to the bottom in 25-30ft of water. They looked fairly big, so I tried jigging for a while. Neither a 1.5oz crippled herring, a 6" BKD on a 1oz head, nor a 1oz white bucktail produced any hits at any of the locations I tried.

I headed back toward the jetty because I saw a lot of birds hanging out in that area, but the were all loons (I think):

The entrance to the creek that the jetty protects is surprisingly shallow. It was around 7-10ft deep by the mouth and only a few feet deep about halfway to the harbor. This was around 1pm, which was 3/4 of the way to high tide. I tried a couple of Rattletraps and a white Gulp grub on a 1/2oz head but still no takers. I did see some sort of fish sitting at the bottom near one of the jetties. It looked like it was long and thin like a big inshore lizardfish, but I think they don't like cold water. Not sure what it was. I tried around a couple docks in the area, but they were all in super shallow water. I trolled back to the launch and called it a day at a little before 3pm.

The water temperature was 55 (both on my thermometer and my transducer), the salinity was 18, and the water was super clear.

In fact, I could see my white grub clearly on the bottom in over 6ft of water. Anyhow, I covered almost 6 miles without a single hit. I should've launched at Buzz's because I could trolled out to the Point No Point light and back again and still have had a couple miles to spare. Apparently, a couple of big fish were caught out there. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill,
I would have the same dilemma on choosing PLO or St. Jerome’s Creek. At PLO I don’t have to paddle long distance to reach 30’-40’ of water. But, I think St Jerome’s Creek will definitely offer some actions always.
I could not fish on Saturday because I had a big party at my home. So on Sunday, I went ST. Jerome’s Creek to get rid of my hang-over. Because of the small craft warning, I had to pick St. Jerome’s Creek.

I went to Drury’s marina to save paddling time and explore the north part of the creek. I paid 8 dollars for launch.
I fished for 4 hours total from 12:00 PM to 4:00PM. I caught 4 stripers at 17 inches. I chased some working birds. 3/8 oz jig head and a 3.25” salt & pepper Bass Assassin with paddle tail worked well. I caught 3 by jigging and caught 1 by trolling a ¾ oz gold casting spoon. The wind was blowing at 15MPH at the creek. I went to the outside of jetties twice to see any birds at the bay. There were no birds at all at the bay.

Boaters said it was pretty rough at the bay. Some said the wave was about 4-5 foot high. Only a few people fished Sunday and the keeper stripers were scarce.

I caught up with a guy on a Jon boat few times. He caught a small striper every time he cast the jig. He also caught a 20” striper. Three guys live-lined at the inlet caught two 18 inch for whole day.

Well I found that people fished at the creek caught more fish than people fished a the bay.

In addition, about the depths of deep-diving lures...
I found that the most of deep diving lures reach their rated depths (rated by mfg.) when I let out 200' of 30# super braided line and trolling at 3.5+ mph. All Stretches (15, 20, 25 &30) and all Bombers (5' - 17' rated) reached close to the rated depths. I lost many lures by snagging something on the bottom.

Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info on the trolling lures. I have to pick up something that dives 15ft because I've seen a lot of suspended fish in that zone at the various places I fish.

What was the north part of St. Jerome's like. Was it deeper than the southern branch? The way it looks on Google Earth makes me think it's a little deeper, but I can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Similiar to the south. But the channels were wider and the depths of channels were 9-10'. Obviously there were more birds. At NNE wind of 15MPH plus, the north part of the north side creek was pretty flat and protected from the wind. Somehow birds did not move to the west side fingers and north side fingers. I could catch a couple of keeper (20") stripers if I stayed with the bird on Sunday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts