Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on the bay for 4 years. My son (now 9) does not remember some of the crabbing experiences because he was too young to run a trot line.
Started at 7:30 with 12 traps and 300 ft of trot line. NOTHING!

I am willing to go back tomorrow and will run as far as Magothy if there (or narrows). Need to know landing sites.

I have a dinghy that is set up to run. Just need a dock or a ramp within a mile distance.

I want my son to experience pulling up a crab.
I am coming from Hershey Pa. and am hoping for some help.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
October is time to go deep. With these cool nights try 12-14ft deep. AA county is lousy for ramps. Try the Bush or Bear Creek.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Where in the middle river were you? I caught over a bushel less than a week ago in 10-11' and I am sure the crabs are still there as we have not had a significant change in the weather. If anything the water may have warmed a degree or two since the days have been warmer. I am planning to go back on Monday..

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
I saw a guy at the ramp on middle river last Thursday.He said the week before,he caught a bushel but only caught a dozen Thursday Oct 9.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't go this am, but may go Tuesday. I was in the mouth of the Middle River, a stones throw away from Bowley's Marina.

Is running a trot line to deep for anything deeper than 8 feet?

Where in the Magothy? closer to Dobbs Island? or further back?

What marina could I use a dock to put in and make a less than 1 mile run?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I was in 10-12 feet. That might have been your problem. We had a few traps in 9 feet and they were slow. The ones in the deepest water were the most productive.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I was running my trotline in 12-15' last year no problem. You just have to adjust the length of rope from the float to the anchor and from the float to the line.

My lines in each direction ar 25'.

I know people who run their lines in 20' late in the year.

This time of the year they start moving. If they're not in one spot, MOVE!!!!!!!!

May have to move down river as they start heading out, it's not always a matter of deeper, sometimes it's both deeper and further.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts