Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started using Penn Slammer 260 reels when they first came out about six years ago. I think they are great little reels for LTJ. They were designed and made in the USA. They are tough and have just the essential parts. The design is elegant and simple. They are very easy to strip down, clean and lube.

Enter China. In the past two years the production has moved to China. The design, parts, tolerances, machining, etc. is still as good as ever. It is the assembly that is not so good. I have had four of them develop loose parts which made them not work as designed. If it was the same part I would describe it to you but has been under the spool on two and inside the reel on two more.

It has been obvious after disassembly which parts have been causing a problem. Last Monday a new Slammer started not locking in the anti reverse mode--real annoying. This morning I took it apart and found the plastic keeper under the rotor was loose. I also found the screw that holds the main shaft to the oscillation cam was loose.

The good news is that after each of reels was tightened and lubed, it has worked flawlessly. I will continue buying Penn Slammer 260's because I like them, but I think I will take apart new ones and tighten everything before using.

Apparently the people assembling the reels do not have very good judgment as to how tight they should make the screws. I never had this problem with the ones made in the USA.

Hope this info helps some of you.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
WB:

I have a 360 (USA) and two 260s One USA, One China (the USA 260 was the "floor model" and I bought that instead of a new china one in the box..)

Both work great and are used hard.. The china one is a couple seasons newer and the gold anodize spool is much darker.. thast the only way i can tell them apart. I have not been inside them but had them both serviced last year..

LOve them to death.. I really like that they got rid of the ant reverse switch (who uses them anyway?)

This year I bought a 430SSG . Its like a little bro for the 260 designed for 4-6-8 lb it makes a great perch perch and dink reel..

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WB:

I have a 360 (USA) and two 260s One USA, One China (the USA 260 was the "floor model" and I bought that instead of a new china one in the box..)

Both work great and are used hard.. The china one is a couple seasons newer and the gold anodize spool is much darker.. thast the only way i can tell them apart. I have not been inside them but had them both serviced last year..

LOve them to death.. I really like that they got rid of the ant reverse switch (who uses them anyway?)

This year I bought a 430SSG . Its like a little bro for the 260 designed for 4-6-8 lb it makes a great perch perch and dink reel..
BK-

Since you had them serviced here, the loose part problems will most likely not happen now.

I like them too. Have six 260's and one 460. The reason for the post was to let guys know they are still good reels. If a problem develops, I recommend you stop using them immediately before a loose part causes damage. Simple tightening of a screw will most likely cure the problem.

The other things I like to do when they are apart are coat he parts inside with a thin film of light grease, coat the screws too and put a layer of heavier grease on the side cover mating surfaces to help keep SW out.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Bill, I just got my very first Penn reel in the mail the other day it's the Slammer 360 and made in the good ole USofA. I could not pass this one up and after putting a post up about 2 weeks ago looking for a new reel, my very good friend Sam gave me this reel. It was still in the box and never used. It's sad to see something so good go down hill. Thanks for posting this...

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill, I just got my very first Penn reel in the mail the other day it's the Slammer 360 and made in the good ole USofA. I could not pass this one up and after putting a post up about 2 weeks ago looking for a new reel, my very good friend Sam gave me this reel. It was still in the box and never used. It's sad to see something so good go down hill. Thanks for posting this...
Steve-

You should like the reel. The USA made Slammers were good and I think the ones made in China are just as good. They may be a little smoother. Smoothness was never the strongest feature of the Slammers--toughness and simplicity was. Once everything is tight in the new Slammers, they are very good. They have a very strong handle and no perceptible play.

The one I just cleaned, lubed and tightened is very smooth at the moment.

Some years ago I bought some reel grease at the Harrisburg Sportsman's Show. It was just called reel grease and is the best I have used. It is red, light and very sticky to adhere to gears and surfaces. I tried to get more but the info on the container lead no where. Wish I had bought more.

I do not know why Penn does not coat the backs of the gears and all other moving parts inside the reel. If you let it go more than one year these parts corrode. That is another reason for opening up a new reel, checking the screws and coating the parts with a film of grease.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have three USA 360's mated up to some gLoomis rods. They are bulletproof. May not be the smoothest reel on the market or the cheapest but they will outlast me and my style of fishing. I expect to be able to pass them on to my grandson.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Bill, the reel is very smooth and I will check the grease in the gears thanks for the advice. Like I said this in my first Penn but so far I really like it, I'll see how it does on some sea bass and tog in a few days. Not sure if this is what you found in PA but it's made by Penn, check this web site out…

Penn Precision Reel Grease - PennFishingStore

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve-

Years ago they had a blue grease which was very good. The Penn rep said it was not environmental friendly and they stopped using it. They came out with Muscle Grease which was a cream color and I did not like it nearly as well.

I will check out what they are selling now.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Let me know what you find out and what you would suggest using on them, I need to get something.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I read somwhere that the gears are cut for strength not smoothness that the teeth go together better..something like that.. I have abig jar of the penn Blue grease.. they also make a spray for the outside of the reel and line.. works really well too,,

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you use a slammer with a lot of drag you will want to take a file to the main gear. On both sides of the main gear, file a taper down on the ends that go into the bearings. That is if you ever switch the handle sides. The brass that now comes out of China is very poor. If you never switch sides file the brass on the side with the handle. If you do not, most times you will have to replace the bearing when the gear goes out.

If the main gear goes out, replace it with the pinion and oscillation gear. It will save you in the long run. As always, take the side plate off and grease very thoroughly the screw holes and form a seal around the side plate before using the first time. There is no protection for saltwater to get in unless you make your own grease seal.

I use SuperLube on all the reels on the Poacher. Any tackle shop can order a large container, Henry' s supplies it.

I feel that this is one of the better reels on the market. It holds up to a lot of abuse with very little problems. I would recommend it to anyone, even the newer ones from China. I do not know of a tougher reel for the money.

Russ

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have 8 Penn 450SS and two 360 Slammers. I use "Shooter's Choice" grease. It is synthetic and is sticky. I spread it over all parts with a small brush before assembly. That way all parts are coated and protected from corrosion.

Dave

aka

1 - 17 of 17 Posts