Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was interesting. MD debating on the same thing. Not sure how accurate it is?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unnecessary apologies for slavery must go both ways

Sen. Margaret Rose Henry is considering introducing legislation for Delaware to apologize for slavery 142 years ago. Will we then need to make financial restitution to the descendants of former slaves who elected not to return to Africa after the Civil War?

Liberia was specifically established before the Civil War for freed, liberated former slaves. If American-Africans are here it's because their long deceased ancestors elected to stay here rather than go back.

The vast majority of the individuals sold into slavery in Africa were either sold by their families, tribes or other African tribal members, not by the Europeans or Americans that purchased them. Shouldn't those African countries also issue an apology?

My family relocated to the United States in 1889. We never owned slaves. When the issue of restitution occurs after the bogus apology is issued why should my taxes go to pay for something I and my family never participated in?

Steven Hacker, Newark

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thought this was interesting. MD debating on the same thing. Not sure how accurate it is?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unnecessary apologies for slavery must go both ways

Sen. Margaret Rose Henry is considering introducing legislation for Delaware to apologize for slavery 142 years ago. Will we then need to make financial restitution to the descendants of former slaves who elected not to return to Africa after the Civil War?

Liberia was specifically established before the Civil War for freed, liberated former slaves. If American-Africans are here it's because their long deceased ancestors elected to stay here rather than go back.

The vast majority of the individuals sold into slavery in Africa were either sold by their families, tribes or other African tribal members, not by the Europeans or Americans that purchased them. Shouldn't those African countries also issue an apology?

My family relocated to the United States in 1889. We never owned slaves. When the issue of restitution occurs after the bogus apology is issued why should my taxes go to pay for something I and my family never participated in?

Steven Hacker, Newark
Yea, that's it.....slavery was the black Africans fault.

Tony

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
LIBERAL WHITE GUILT-says it all.

It is legit, I saw a blurb on the local news this morning, but could not stomach hearing the report.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
No one is going to pay reparations to anyone. An apology I understand and don't know why this is so difficult for many former slave states. The apology is voted on by individuals who never owned slaves, but is from the government that did at one time enforce ownership in often brutal ways. So the apology issued from that government is justified.

But as for reparations, it's so silly that I doubt it will ever stand a serious chance of succeeding. My african-american friends and I have had this discussion before and they don't want your or my money; they're perfectly capable of making it on their own (actually, they say joking, perfectly capable of taking it on their own:D ). And while they think that an apology from this great country does lend some moral support to those around the world who still suffer in slavery or slave-like conditions, they'd otherwise like to continue to move on and demonstrate that they can compete fairly with anyone of any race --- which they more than adequately do.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I guess if it had an effect on other countries currently enslaving people, it would make some sense. But, the thought of people that did not own slaves apologizing to people that were not slaves, is just feel-good stuff that benefits no one. They would be more helpful addressing problems that could be helped. But then again, everything the govt. involves itself in usually ends up a disaster anyway, so maybe do-nothing apologies are a good idea.:clap:

·
Registered
775 Posts
And while they think that an apology from this great country does lend some moral support to those around the world who still suffer in slavery or slave-like conditions,QUOTE]

Not trying to be a smat a$$, but does anyone really believe this. I would think if the blacks in this country wanted us to lend support to these people referenced above they would be asking our government to 1)condemn these activities naming the offending groups and 2) try to force an end to this activity using the political power of this country.

I personally never hear any such discussions. CZ nailed the answer.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Now if only the Huns would apologize for pushing my ancestors out of eastern Europe...

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
I guess if it had an effect on other countries currently enslaving people, it would make some sense. But, the thought of people that did not own slaves apologizing to people that were not slaves, is just feel-good stuff that benefits no one. They would be more helpful addressing problems that could be helped. But then again, everything the govt. involves itself in usually ends up a disaster anyway, so maybe do-nothing apologies are a good idea.:clap:
I agree. Obviously guilt ridden people will make up many many tedious fantasies to escape their deep seeded self loathing......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts