Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fishing for catfish on the Potomac these days? If so, how is the fishing been?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
The big cats should be moving in soon as the water temps drop. I'm crabbing this weekend and will be after cats the following weekend.......... Gary
Moving in? They never leave. If you can't catch a big blue cat in the tidal potomac, stick to golf. Fresh bait, as in fresh fish works best. Fresh gizzard shad, bunker, bluefish.... anything fresh. If frozen, use the heads. Like the whole head on a 8/0 inline circle hook and enough wieght to keep it on bottom. If that doesn't work, take up a different sport. They blanket the bottom in that river. 50 pounders all year, every day, don't take a break. No one time is better than the other. Channel edge, deep water near by is the place to be.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Moving in? They never leave. If you can't catch a big blue cat in the tidal potomac, stick to golf. Fresh bait, as in fresh fish works best. Fresh gizzard shad, bunker, bluefish.... anything fresh. If frozen, use the heads. Like the whole head on a 8/0 inline circle hook and enough wieght to keep it on bottom. If that doesn't work, take up a different sport. They blanket the bottom in that river. 50 pounders all year, every day, don't take a break. No one time is better than the other. Channel edge, deep water near by is the place to be.
I have just found that cat fishing slows considerably during the Summer heat and most action occurs after dark....... Gary

·
Registered
13 Posts
i kill them using black mollies. i dont much like the potomacs pollution so i get my cats up on the susky above and below the dam. year round fishing!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Planning on heading up to Benedict Bridge area tonight after dark. We have hit that area a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Caught a few. Crabs were in good competition for the bait we were offering. Might as well say we were crabbing and not fishing cause we brought more crabs in the boat than fish. ;)

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
I don't know about the Potomac, but you could feed a family of 10 all year on channel cats in the upper bay fishing from shore.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What salmo said- kill them all please.
We did ok. Actually the first two things we caught were rockfish. Normally don't hit on those worth any size in the area we were at. A 22.5 and a 23. Caught 4 blue cats, 3 Browns and a channel. Fished the same spot we worked last weekend. Crabs were not nearly as bad and we could keep bait on the hooks for more than five minutes. Would have stayed longer but someone did not dress warm enough and there was a good wind blowing so decided to call it a night. It was a bit of a fight though as the wind and the tide were competing against one another. The boat would turn 90 degrees in less than a minute then within the next minute turn 90 degrees back the other way, better than being cooped up in the house though. :)

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
. It was a bit of a fight though as the wind and the tide were competing against one another. The boat would turn 90 degrees in less than a minute then within the next minute turn 90 degrees back the other way, . :)
Ya need to double anchor...........................

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ya need to double anchor...........................
Ya got to be really careful with anchors in the Potomac. There are lots of down trees and big rocks that will keep your anchor......... Gary
Ya we only had the one anchor with us. Other was on the other boat. Will likely take it next time. Just was not expecting the wind to be as high as it was.

We have been fishing this one little spot a couple miles north of Benedict bridge. It has been good to us so far. Been there three times and have not even snagged bottom with a hook as yet. Seems to be a reasonably clean spot.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Ya we only had the one anchor with us. Other was on the other boat. Will likely take it next time. Just was not expecting the wind to be as high as it was.

We have been fishing this one little spot a couple miles north of Benedict bridge. It has been good to us so far. Been there three times and have not even snagged bottom with a hook as yet. Seems to be a reasonably clean spot.
I fish the Potomac in DC and there is much more debris on the bottom and strong current........... Gary

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Most times catfish'n you'll be fish'n structure. Channel edges, heads and tails of holes, creek mouths, bridge pylons, lay downs, ect. Hung anchors and snags on your rigs are just part of the game. Rig anchors with a break free system so you can back the anchor out if necessary. If ya don't snag anchors and rigs occasionally, your not fish'n the most productive spots. Current is important. Active fish feed around current. Bait is also important. Ya want to use what the fish are accustom to eating. I've spent up to half a day just gathering bait with cast nets or gill net. Fresh is very important. Change baits often. Eating fish are simple to catch. Trophy fish require more effort...........

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've been yanking catfish out of the Potomac for 20 yrs. Never snagged or lost and anchor. There's 2 strategies for catching bluecats. Big trophies or small eaters. Sometimes I'll set up with the opportunity for both. If you're strictly looking for eater size fish and wanting to fill a cooler or get kids some pullage, I would use shrimp with with either a Carolina rig or dbl bottom rig. Smaller cutbait will work great too. If you're only looking to catch 20-50 lb fish then you need to have 8'0 hooks with large FRESH cutbait or live black salties. Have weight up to 8 oz to hold bottom in deep water with the current. I like to rig so I can switch weights easily because I may fish 10 ft of water on a channel edge or move over a few yards and drop down to 30 ft. Find current and this time of year I really like the mouths of creeks where you get a current from the river meeting the current from the creek. I found that by using an 8'0 hook and not going too large on the cutbait I have the opportunity to catch catfish from 3-50 lbs on the same rig.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
I've been yanking catfish out of the Potomac for 20 yrs. Never snagged or lost and anchor. There's 2 strategies for catching bluecats. Big trophies or small eaters. Sometimes I'll set up with the opportunity for both. If you're strictly looking for eater size fish and wanting to fill a cooler or get kids some pullage, I would use shrimp with with either a Carolina rig or dbl bottom rig. Smaller cutbait will work great too. If you're only looking to catch 20-50 lb fish then you need to have 8'0 hooks with large FRESH cutbait or live black salties. Have weight up to 8 oz to hold bottom in deep water with the current. I like to rig so I can switch weights easily because I may fish 10 ft of water on a channel edge or move over a few yards and drop down to 30 ft. Find current and this time of year I really like the mouths of creeks where you get a current from the river meeting the current from the creek. I found that by using an 8'0 hook and not going too large on the cutbait I have the opportunity to catch catfish from 3-50 lbs on the same rig.
The Potomac is a loooong river. Different areas have different bottoms. I fish mostly in the DC - Ft Washington areas. There is a lot of structure there which is great for cat fish but bad for anchors and gear........ Gary

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have actually been working the Patuxent so no snags were we have been working. Did lose a lower end last year a couple hundred feet inshore from where we are working now. Was apparently some submerged pilings there we did not know about and were not marked nor on our Navionics or Garmin Charts. Did not realize they were there until we happened to be up there at a low tide and saw the pilings just breaking the surface of the water. They appear to be gone now as we have been there at low tide and looked for them and they are no where to be found.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts