Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished this past Wednesday and today at all of my favorite spots and came back with very few fish. Today I was out before sunrise and fished 3 hours catching more small stripers than perch on a beetle spoon. I was entertained by a fat 17+ striper for a few minutes. I can't remember a falloff like this in years past, could they have moved to deeper water?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Fished mid-day yesterday from Bloody Point to Hackett's. No birds, lots of bait. Some pods of Menhaden breaking the surface but I side-scanned them and nothing underneath?? Settled for putting my grand son on some Spot.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It's been a sparse year so far for perch for us as well. From what I read, they are late this year. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I have fished for perch in 7 different Severn tidal creeks over the past month. I fished on ten different days and averaged just 13 perch per 3/hour trip. Fewer than five of those perch were above 10". As others noted, this is below expectations for June. My best perch trip was a bit farther north in a creek that flows into Baltimore Harbor.

I have found more than the usual number of summer pickerel in the Severn as well as a large channel cat and a pumpkinseed, but not a single striper there. I also tried half an hour of bottom fishing over a shell bottom at the mouth of a Severn Creek. I caught a few small spot -- that was it.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This week has been an odd week with extraordinary low tides and little tidal movement. I’m not throwing in the towel yet. Where I’ve always done well, it’s been slow too. Boat isn’t leaving the slip this weekend, let’s see how it goes when tides get back to normal and all the crazy’s are off the water next week

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Perch are off all over. I'm wondering if it's because this spring was so cool and wet?

As for the menhaden, we're seeing LOTS of small schools of them everywhere, no large schools, but gobs of small ones.

Reactions: Choptank River

·
Registered
189 Posts
This week has been an odd week with extraordinary low tides and little tidal movement. I’m not throwing in the towel yet. Where I’ve always done well, it’s been slow too. Boat isn’t leaving the slip this weekend, let’s see how it goes when tides get back to normal and all the crazy’s are off the water next week
Tide in MIddle River was back up yesterday and even higher today. I was out there Tuesday rebuilding my jetty and hoping the low would have lasted a couple days longer.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Those who have been catching fewer perch; have you noticed an increase in cormorants? I have lost a few dependable perch spots to those birds.
I haven't noticed them in some of our spots, but others it seems like there are a few more than I recall last year. But last year we were fishing from kayaks and were very limited to our range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of cormorants in South Creek, every old pier piling usually has a bird on it. The area is also full of ospreys but they don't go after perch. More schools of little menhaden in the West River/South Creek than I've seen in years.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
I didn't see any Cormorants where we fished today and there were gobs of fish there. Where I'm seeing them is in areas where there are the smaller schools of menhaden.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts