Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the day off on the wrong foot by oversleeping an hour :eek:.Got to Sandy Point at 8:20 instead of 7:30am but fellow Tfer AIK68J (John) and his son Brian were not too mad.They saved me a few donuts :D. My son Tyler rounded out the crew.We quickly launched the boat and Tyler guided her out as we got the trolling rods ready.Smooth water meet us at the jetty and Tyler ran her at 30 knots towards the LP marker.Stooped about 1 mile south of it and set out the rods as we headed north in 45 feet.Saw some bait/Rock on the meter-scattered at 15-30 feet.Water temp. was 59*.Put out only boat rods- no planers.There are crab pots (hawks) scattered around in the deeper water.Here's the spread.Speed was 2.8-3.0 mph.

Downrigger @ 35 with chart. umbrella (small 6 arm) with chart. Storm
Downrigger @ 25 w 12'' red hose.
100' wire 20ozs w white Storm (black dot)
125' 20 ozs w red hose (swapped to white Storm)
150' 10 ozs Tony #17 (silver)
175' 4 ozs Golden Mullet Storm
200' tandem 4 oz white bucktail/6'' white shad - Golden Mullet Storm
All rods carry braided line except wire and downriggers (50 lb. mono).

Once the 7 rods were out-we zig zagged north going into 32 feet and out to 50 feet.Most bait was in 40 feet so we worked that area hard.Tide was just about high and the current was slacking.Took about an hour to get the first hit-wire rod.Brian did a good job reeling it in and John helped move rods out of the way.Soon a nice Rock was on ice but not before a quick photo :thumbup:.

We were almost up to the green #1 can when the down rigger with a red hose got hit.The scrappy 19 incher ate a lure 3/4 his length :D.Turned back to circle the area but did not get anymore hits.My crew was nodding off-trolling can be boring if the bite is slow.The calm waters and peaceful quiet soon had my net man out cold :pp.

Worked towards Love Point - there is a cool deep area due west of it.The water goes from 40 feet to 50 feet- heading east.We saw alot of good marks but could not convince any Rock to hit.Tried all different directions and speeds but nothing worked.More boats were out now and some were casting to birds up near the point in 20 feet.We worked south with the now outgoing current- searching for fish.Found a nice Rock about 24'' near the LP.It hit the umbrella off the downrigger.John reeled it in and that made #3 in the box.Heard some chatter over the VHF- alot complained of 16-17 inch fish.Luckily all our bites were keepers.Worked south towards the bridge-I went west towards the channel but saw little on the meter.Tried the end of the sewer pipe at 43 feet but no one was there.Some years this gives up bigger fish ;-).Crab pot floats were thick near the bridge so I trolled between the spans going west.Current was now ripping - the boat "skidded" on an angle.Figured we would troll to the eastern rockpile- then pull the gear and try jigging.About 1/8 before the rockpile-the downrigger with the umbrella got hit and John reeled in a fat 23 incher.We saw no other boats at the rockpile and trolled past it- watching the meter.Saw a few fish so we racked the gear and got out jigging rods.Tyler saw a jacket barely floating and netted it.If anyone lost a brown XL Boat US slip over wind breaker-let me know.We tried a few drifts jigging but only had two pecks-most likely small Rock or Perch.Headed in at 4:00 pm and got to the ramp at 3:10 :confused::confused:. I forgot to set my GPS clock back - OOPS.Not a banner trolling bite but still nice to be out fishing.

Brian is all set when the bigger Rock show up :yes:.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
thanks tor the report & great info....as usual...., Skip.

you had a fine crew with you today.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey skip, I was there also, had an eye on you often. running mostly 6" storms on white and chartr umbrellas, workin deep, 12 out 160, 20 out 50 ish. landed two 32", couple 28, released 4 17-19.
see ya next time

capt gary

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Thanks Skip I am gonna have to go to a museum or snoop around the flea markets to see if I can pickup Brian one of them Wire line Penn setups (He seems to like that one) :D:D
Had a blast of course I was a bit worried with you late I saw four horseman getting ready to ride out. :eek::eek:
Tyler really got a good handle running that boat good seeing him again.
High speed jigging just wasn't in the cards

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Hard to believe how warm it is for the first week in November. Good thing I wasn't aboard yesterday........you know Tyler..........I still owe you a "payback". Looked like a perfect opportunity:D.....................Mark

·
Registered
345 Posts
:thumbup:

Great job with the fish. Looking forward to going out and learning the planer boards. Also, it was a pleasure meeting you at Boaters World.

Eric

PS Hunter and I had a great day of fishing yesterday, see earlier report.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Seems like everyday I pass you on 97. Your heading home with the boat in tow and I am heading home from this whole. Then to make matters worse on a Monday... I am driving to work and I get to see you on your way to the docks I laughed thinking..Oh boy someone overslept.. Jack

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Great report Skip.:thumbup: Good to see your posts again. ....Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts