Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met friends Dan and Stephen at Sandy Point at 8 am. Both have fished with me and had rods racked by time I had parked truck - good crew.

Plan was to get Spot and live line - then dive for lost anchor near bridge. Current prediction was max incoming near Sandy Point at 9:20 - I like to fish it as it wanes. Slack predicted about 12:00 - be dive time.

We had nice bite with Spot - perfect size 6-7 inchers. These will get a better grade of Rock. I can not wait for fall when some will be 8 or 9 inchers.

With bait well stocked with about 15 Spot - ran north. Going past crab pots - they were not moving. Odd since current should be strong. Found some scatter marks but current was not moving. We could see rays splashing since it was calm water.

May be an image of ocean, nature and sky

Too late to U turn back to bridge to dive - cussed the prediction from Fish Talk magazine. Almost like slack and max currents are reversed. Same thing happened two weeks ago. Incoming current started very weak. It might have been stronger deep - Dan got good hit. The fish pulled well - going under boat. It was not exactly text book - had to go on transom to net it but the fat 29 incher was iced down.

No photo description available.

We had a few other hits - debated to move but friends were not doing any better south , north or east of us. Got another one to hook up - about 25 incher.

May be an image of 1 person and nature

What little action there was died so we ran to bridge to check out area. Current here was now moving - too fast to dive. Confirmed a few likely hangs with side scan - then ran back to ramp about 12:30. Nice way to start summer.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
What kind of rigging do you use for live lining Skip?

·
Premium Member
26,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uncle Rob - I use 20 or 30 lb braid. 8/0 thin wire circle hook snelled on about 3 feet of 20 or 30 lb clear Ande mono. I use a tiny black barrel swivel to join braid the leader.

I prefer to fish Spot with no weights but will add big split shot (s) if needed. Some days with small Spot and strong current - I have to add 1/4 to 1 oz egg sinkers on a fish finder ( slide ) rig.

I prefer to hook Spot just before dorsal fin - barely going into the meat. Too deep will hinder hook pulling free.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the fishing report and the description on live lining rig Skip. I have not used braid on spinning reels very often, but did rig one with braid today. Seems much thinner diameter than mono, so maybe will sink bait faster or deeper. ACG

·
Premium Member
26,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ACG - IMHO , braid really blows mono away for most fishing. When live lining I can feel everything the Spot is doing. With mono - no clue.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Thanks for the fishing report and the description on live lining rig Skip. I have not used braid on spinning reels very often, but did rig one with braid today. Seems much thinner diameter than mono, so maybe will sink bait faster or deeper. ACG
Braid does have a smaller diameter than mono per pound. It does cut through the water easier, does not stretch and is much more sensitive for jigging or live lining.. It is colorful and easy to see your line. Downside is cost, tangles easier and most times needs to be cut and it will cut your fingers if you try to bring a fish in holding it..........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Thanks for the info Skip. I've run live lines for King Mackerel which is cast a 6oz sinker out and slide a live Spot or small Blue out on a wire leader and hold on for dear life. When we had the old boat we live lined eels off Worton Point.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Skip and Gary. Up to now I have been using floats pegged to depth or just above the depth we see striper marks at. And have been using mono to fish the Spot. It works but is more of watching float rather that feeling the hit.
ACG.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Skip and Gary. Up to now I have been using floats pegged to depth or just above the depth we see striper marks at. And have been using mono to fish the Spot. It works but is more of watching float rather that feeling the hit.
ACG.
That's actually not a bad way to do it if you are drifting or slow trolling, weigh them down a little heavier and wait for the float to disappear. If anchored or otherwise holding in place, feeding them down is the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts