Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jason and I ran out for a quick trip last night on his boat. Flounced around in the shallow water catching a few 18 inch fish. Kept moving when suddenly...

Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Boat

Pretty nice surprise. We have not caught one of these up here in a couple of years.

I was jealous of the catch but dutifully helped him get a good picture. I bet, of Jason's top ten fishing pictures, I have taken seven of them. Lucky me.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really, edible is the best way to describe it. The whole "blackened redfish" thing was a state funded campaign to promote it's harvest and sale in Gulf states.
Not accurate . Red drum or redfish less than 15 lbs are excellent eating. Larger fish can be tough. You can fry (breaded), blacken, and grill (including BBQ). My father thought reds tasted like croaker. I've eaten reds many times. A 26 incher is perfect for filleting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not looking for a spot burn but was the red caught north of the bay bridge? I’ve never heard of one that big being caught that far north.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
It is definitely a tasty fish and a slot keeper but there are not very many of them so thanks for the release. Nice catch...... Gary

·
Registered
219 Posts
Those are excellent table fare until they get over 30"-35" after that they do get tough and gamey. The Hatteras crew and the Old School Eastern Shore folks say they're good no matter how big they get but they usually turn into small chunks in stew when they get too big just like big Black Drum.

My favorite way to cook them is on the grill. Fillet and leave the skin and scales on the fillet. That side goes down towards the heat and doesn't burn because the scales are so thick. A little Old Bay, baste with lemon butter, then right before you take it off the grill flip it over long enough to brown the meat side. The skin/scales side curls up like a bowl and you just scoop the meat out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I consider Upper Bay to be north of Bay Bridge. I have caught them before, just randomly. They are not around enough to target. Tried to get another one yesterday but no such luck.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not accurate . Red drum or redfish less than 15 lbs are excellent eating. Larger fish can be tough. You can fry (breaded), blacken, and grill (including BBQ). My father thought reds tasted like croaker. I've eaten reds many times. A 26 incher is perfect for filleting.
I would agree. I catch them here in the lower bay and grill them with blackening seasoning and then put some compound lemon butter on the grilled filet and sprinkle some Italian parsley. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
LMAO...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Debating whether a particular fish is good eating is fruitless. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.
Paul Prudhomme a chef in New Orleans came up with blackened redfish. How good and popular was it? It almost destroyed a fishery. It’s the reason for the current redfish regulations from Texas to Maryland. It helped the banning if gill nets in Florida. Hint, hint.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Debating whether a particular fish is good eating is fruitless. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.
Paul Prudhomme a chef in New Orleans came up with blackened redfish. How good and popular was it? It almost destroyed a fishery. It’s the reason for the current redfish regulations from Texas to Maryland. It helped the banning if gill nets in Florida. Hint, hint.
that seasoning on blackened tuna or mako is outstanding

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Not really, edible is the best way to describe it. The whole "blackened redfish" thing was a state funded campaign to promote it's harvest and sale in Gulf states.
I don't know about Md. red fish, but the ones we catch in FL. are very good eating. Like this red fish over black beans and rice. We ate this a lot. View attachment 28 0031[/ATTACH]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts