Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
That's a rare trophy for the upper bay . Very few fishermen catch a red that big up here. They're very good to eat, much better than striped bass, that's for sure. I ate some I caught in the Patapsco a few years ago . They might look like a carp but they don't taste like one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a rare trophy for the upper bay . Very few fishermen catch a red that big up here. They're very good to eat, much better than striped bass, that's for sure. I ate some I caught in the Patapsco a few years ago . They might look like a carp but they don't taste like one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reds can tolerate fresh water very well. A couple lakes in Texas had them stocked for many years to control tilapia. The reds grew to almost 40 lbs,. A contributor to this forum caught a bull red near the US 301 bridge while catfishing in the Potomac. Guides in Louisiana catch largemouth bass and reds out of the areas in the marsh.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Those are excellent table fare until they get over 30"-35" after that they do get tough and gamey. The Hatteras crew and the Old School Eastern Shore folks say they're good no matter how big they get but they usually turn into small chunks in stew when they get too big just like big Black Drum.

My favorite way to cook them is on the grill. Fillet and leave the skin and scales on the fillet. That side goes down towards the heat and doesn't burn because the scales are so thick. A little Old Bay, baste with lemon butter, then right before you take it off the grill flip it over long enough to brown the meat side. The skin/scales side curls up like a bowl and you just scoop the meat out.
YEPPIR! Good ol' REDFISH on the Half-shell!
db

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not looking for a spot burn but was the red caught north of the bay bridge? I’ve never heard of one that big being caught that far north.

No offense sir, but it appears to me that it was caught just off the BLUE BAYOU ref.~ "background" ( been awhile, but I think that was up in Carrot Cove or Arundel pier, right Andy?? 😎

db

21 - 30 of 30 Posts