Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the pleasure of Jeremy and crew on board. Jeremy won the trophy trip auction that was on here not long ago. So short and sweet, setting gear a nice 45 in 40 liber nails a single bait 30 ft off the board. Good start. Drag baits for a while in some faily good sized seas before we hook up again. Got what looked to be a close under 36 to the boat and lost it. My fault, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the wheel in a head sea with a ship bearing down on us. Got rod set and shortly after the 250 goes off with a nice 41 inch fish. A 2/4 oz tandem. Went about another half hour and hit another fat 41 incher off the board back about 40 ft. Worked several bait balls hard and hit the ledges hard but just couldn't get bit again. Packed up around noon and headed in do to some guys needing to get back. Definitely not wide open but did manage 3 nice overs that sent everyone home with a good bag of meat. Tide seemed to be screaming out all morning. Talked to a few other captains that had 5 or 6 bites but only one or two fish not in the slot. That's why I like/fish single baits, I personally think they catch better fish. Opinions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Talked to a few other captains that had 5 or 6 bites but only one or two fish not in the slot. That's why I like/fish single baits, I personally think they catch better fish. Opinions?
I sure would like to get out there and test that theory :))

Great report. Thanks Capt

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thank you Captain Kyle for the wonderful trip.

For anyone looking for a charter in the Solomon's area I highly recommend Captain Kyle of Rock Solid Charters. Both Kyle and his mate Bear are incredible hosts, working very hard all day, and more than willing to show us some tips.

Thank you again -

Jeremy
SeaHunt22Triton

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to have you guys on board today Jeremy. Greg I'm not saying tandems don't catch, they do. But...a lot more fun for the angler when you have a nice fish hooked up and nothing else dragging in the water. Yes I agree when guys get on a charter they expect to catch, but I still like a little challenge, and there is nothing else to get tangled in another line. Lol. I figure with 22 boards, that's like running 10 tandems. Haha. Seriously, I do run mostly tandems on the boat rods.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I agree. I like running solos. How are the jellyfish down there?

BTW, you have been tearing them up! Congrats on a hot bite. We have had to work for fish out of Annapolis this week.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jellies aren't to bad now. Boards and long boat rods are staying clean for the most part. Deeper rods are still getting them. I think if you stay out past 45-50 ft depth they jellies aren't nearly as bad. But who knows. We still check/clean rods often.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can only say that I was impressed on Saturday with those singles catching such big fish. We had 3 out of 4 over 40"! I run some (but not half) singles on my own boat, but I'm now rethinking that after seeing your success with just the one bait per rod.

Seahunt22Triton- we had the same great experience on Saturday. These guys have their home turf dialed in, that's for sure!

·
Registered
679 Posts
You guys fishing right out front, up to the gas docks? Have been out with Pete Ide there and am going with him next week, but he has moved up to Chesapeake Beach this year.
Nice job again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts