Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was just too nice *not* to wet a line this evening, so I walked around the bank casting into the slush of one of the secluded inlets not too far inside the mouth of the Magothy. Apparently, the Pickeral thought it was a nice night too, 'cause they were hungry. I ended up with 6 including a nice fat one that gave me quite a fight on my ultralight gear. I was mostly just casting to the edge of the ice, or to holes in the ice, wherever I could get my lure to sink. Obviously, the cold water doesn't bother my 5 month old chessy, Crockett. He went right into the slush after the fish. I'll have to break him of that before he gets a hook in his mouth! -Shawn

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Shawn nice report.Yes do break him of that Buster wore a Treble to the Vet once after getting a fish I had hooked.Surprisingly the person before me had a hook removed from his dog too.Not as uncommon as I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Good stuff. I wish I lived that close to the water. I'd be fishing alot more than I do.

-JB

·
Registered
861 Posts
You should break him of bad habits to keep him from falling through the ice - got to be a terrible thing to watch your dog drowning under those conditions. Not trying to wreck your day - just pointing out the danger. I know he's still a puppy and can be taught.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Shawn nice report,those labs sure do make for good company on the water , unbelievable
how they can withstand the cold drink:chill:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David -- Sorry that happened to Buster. I worked at marinas when I was a kid and saw a lot of dogs with hooks in their mouths. If it's just in their lip, push it all the way through and cut off the barb. They've forgotten it 5 mins later. Doesn't work that well for humans though! (voice of experience)

Mikie -- You're right and I shudder at the thought. He'll stay if I tell him to, but I let him splash around after that one.

Jay -- A Chessie will bite you if you call him a Lab!! ;)

-S

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Nice report Shawn!

I was hoping to have a report on Saturday but my boat wasn't acting right. Sure looks like that fish was afraid of Crockett :D I have a Chessy and have to chain him to the boat. Can't keep him out of the water even off of Hatteras with rip tides :nono:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
Shawn, Thanks for the post. Maybe I can get out of word before it gets dark and wet a line. Nice fish!

John

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
Shawn-WTG-good luck breaking 1,000 yrs of instinct.:D
I had 2 labs and when we went ice fishing the goofs would bark and try to stick their heads in the fishing hole in order to get the bluegill or crappie. Real fun is when they get a hook in their nose and then hook their paw to their nose.

Best thing is to teach them to shake off BEFORE they get next to you.:)) Skip

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if I'm flattered, or pissed about this. I put up a post on my blog today similar to this fishing report. I also mentioned the part about trying not to hook the dog. When I went back and looked at it, I saw that PETA had placed an ad in the Google Ads section of the site. The ad showed a picture of a dog with a hook in its mouth and read, "Fishing Hurts, You wouldn't want to do this to your dog, why do it to a fish." Geeze... I don't have any control over who advertises there, I thought it was selected randomly. I was thinking of asking people to click on it because they have to pay me for clicks, but I just went back and checked and it's gone. Guess they figure they made their point. -Shawn

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm a member of PETA (People that Eat Tasty Animals).

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Is it really good to let a dog lick the slime coat off a pickeral? There was a lot of talk earlier in the winter about making sure to preserve the slime coat by handling gently & not using certain types of nets. I'm sure noone considered domesticated pet tongues as a potential hazard.

Sorry, I know dogs like to lick things, but you should really consider the pickeral's health.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it really good to let a dog lick the slime coat off a pickeral? There was a lot of talk earlier in the winter about making sure to preserve the slime coat by handling gently & not using certain types of nets. I'm sure noone considered domesticated pet tongues as a potential hazard.

Sorry, I know dogs like to lick things, but you should really consider the pickeral's health.
Heh heh.... I think you can get to a PETA application though my web site. :poke1: -S

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Heh heh.... I think you can get to a PETA application though my web site. :poke1: -S
Are you serious?!?!?!? Comment like that are very telling. Obviously you care very little for a very fragile fish in your own backyard. Or else you know nothing about the fish.

I'll assume that you hold a similar disregard for the rest of the Bay. Congratulations in showing your true colors.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<laughing> My true colors are that I'm almost 100% C&R. I would never intentionally harm a fish unless I have a very good reason for doing so. I don't like to live line because I don't like to kill fish to kill fish. I might feed my dog a perch once in a while, if that makes you mad, then don't read my posts. If you've followed any of my posts you should know that I am a conservationist with a passion for the Bay. While I'm walking the banks fishing, I'm also cleaning up trash. I'm the guy who raises hell with the neighbors when they let their dogs **** on the beach and don't clean it up. But, yep.... my dog is a fish licker, dern sure is.... fact is, if you count kissing a big ol' bass before I turn her loose, I'm a fish licker too. Is there a fish licker's anonymous chapter around you could steer us toward? -S

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Are you serious?!?!?!? Comment like that are very telling. Obviously you care very little for a very fragile fish in your own backyard. Or else you know nothing about the fish.

I'll assume that you hold a similar disregard for the rest of the Bay. Congratulations in showing your true colors.
You are going a little overboard. Surely a couple licks on a fish from a dog while in the water isn't really going to take all the slime off. Think of all the fish removed from the water and handled with dry hands or towels in summer time before being released. I am sure that is way more detrimental yet that is accepted.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I'd like to diffuse this by saying I appreciate Unclejohn's concern and it is duely noted. My comment about PETA was also over the top and I know his reaction about my disregard for the Bay was in response. There's a lot we could all do to take better care of the fish and the area. -Shawn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts