Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting ready for pond fishing. Thought I would see how small I could turn Balsa. These are on # 10 Streamer hooks, Popper body is 1/4 inch x 5/16 Think it will hook Bream on a 3 Wt ?

Boats

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Add some bucktail to the rear and yes, you can catch bream, crappie, bass and cats.
Be careful, I've hooked some significant bass on small poppers like that and a 3 wt might suffer.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DH

Will dress it up for sure. Couple of splayed hackles, little bit of bucktail on top of the hook and palmered hackle covering the thread.

My normal Bream popper is one just like it but on a # 6 kink shank hook and 6 wt rod. One pond I fish has a whole lot of small fish, they bump but don't take the 6's often,

Boats

·
Registered
232 Posts
Very cool boats. Just leave that one at Anns for me and I will be sure to test it for you to make sure it works.:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tie 1 On

Friend of mine that shapes surfboards gave me some scrap Balsa. Have finished 1/2 dozen Stripper poppers on 1/0's Bass on # 2's 6 of the little # 10's and working on some 6's now.

Here is a picture of one of the 10's chucked up. It's half the size of a Peanut. The lathe weighs 1000 lbs

Boats

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did see that Fly tyer article. The new issue has a real good one on painting poppers. Making them is not hard, dressing either, Painting has been the problem. They recomended and I went to water based craft paints. Whole selection avalable with sealer for under, color coats , sparkle coat and high gloss varnish. All quick dry and water clean up.

Boats

·
Registered
506 Posts
Boats, for panfish poppers ... I usually just cut little cubes from 1/4 or 3/8" square balsa strips. Shapes easily with sandpaper. Then tie it directly on top of the shank using thread.
Build-up a thread-base on shank prior. Just 5 or 6 wraps and not too tight. Then a thin coat of 5 minute Devcon. Then paint. Then another thin coat of epoxy. Tail feathers and
legs to your liking behind balsa body. Make sure ya got enough hook gap between point and body. I use water-base acrylic paints. Cheap and easy to clean-up the brush.

I don't tie these much anymore since sheet-foam is so much easier to play with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Better get them finished. I hit a small local pond yesterday evening and caught a number of 8 inch plus blugills. They all hit the nymph I had trailing my popper, but the first few were bumping the popper as well. I'm guessing if I had gotten there earlier they would have been more interested in topwater offerings.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomrrow for sure. Early season they like the warm spots mid day. Foam is better by most counts. I just like the retro approach. Pax thanks may give it a try. However for this season I am poppered out. Unless the Stripers at Weldon NC eat my latest production up.

Boats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts