Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 ft scout with a cutout on the transom for the motor. I use it mainly for crabbing but when it gets bad out to much water gets into the boat. The bilge pump can handle it but I was think of fabricating a SS motor well. Does anyone know who can do this in the Baltimore area or have any ideas to solve this problem?

·
Registered
35 Posts
A lot of folks have made similar contraptions using starboard (cleaner looking). Unfortunately, the older boats had cut outs for 20" transoms which caused problems in high seas. Just make a pattern around where the motor sits (you can even cut out for where it tilts) and put in on a hinge.....just remember to seal the screws with 3m 5200 before you put it into the transom.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if im following you with the hinge. I thought of starboard but is stainless a better option?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Put the hinge on the inside of the transom area. When you fold it upwards into place (in high seas) it will block most of the water coming in. When you are towing or moving the boat, it folds down out of the way to tilt the motor up.

Starboard is probably more expensive but does give a little cleaner look.

I'd be a bit worried that the waterline is almost at the top motor bolts. Seems like a litte too much motor or weight in the rear. Try moving any gear and or batteries to the front under the console. You'd be suprised how much 25-50lbs makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'd be a bit worried that the waterline is almost at the top motor bolts. Seems like a litte too much motor or weight in the rear. Try moving any gear and or batteries to the front under the console. You'd be suprised how much 25-50lbs makes a difference.
X2 - i moved my 2 batteries from the stern to under the console on my 17 Mako and the rear of the boat sat an inch higher in the water.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I made two panels from starboard. Blocks most of the water.

I used hinges with removable pins for trailering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts