Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about the difference in these two postings by the NWS. Obviously the "warning" is issued for more severe conditions, but I see both from time to time - especially during rockfish season.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Small craft advisories are issued for winds between 18 and 33 knots and/or waves of 4 ft+ on the Bay. The warnings you refer to are either gale warnings, which are issued for winds 34 to 47 kt, or special marine warnings, which are issued for thunderstorms that are expected to produced gale force wind gusts (or higher) and/or large hail, or waterspouts. Technically there is no "small craft warning". Hope this clears up the confusion.

Bill S.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It seems to me that when I was young about 60 years ago the common term around where I was going out on the water was a Small Craft Warning. It may not have been the official name but it was the one we used. I'm not even sure that the wind speed ratings were the same as now. All we knew is when you saw the red flag at the Coast Guard Station it was time to stay onshore.

·
Registered
382 Posts
here's my question.....im taking my buddies out in a 23 ' Striper deep V, we're only going to be fishing about 20 yds from shore and the spot we are fishing is only a quarter of a mile AT BEST from the ramp we are putting in at........would it be safe to go Sunday? they are calling for winds between 15-20 mph and 3-4ft seas.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wild Bill in Waverly. Just wanted to say Thank you for your answer regarding Small Craft adviseries. I have seen where you have answered weather questions on several other ocassions and its nice to get a professional clarification or answer. You weather guys take a lot of **** for your forcast so its nice to know you fish too . Big Dave Hooked-up:clapping2:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Big Dave,

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff said on these boards and others, but it comes with the territory. Through my posts on this board, I have been given the opportunity to speak and several fishing clubs, and have met a lot of great folks. The clubs get to learn more about us and what we do, and we get to learn more about the things you deal with on the water. I have some experience on the Bay with my boat, so I can sympathize with the concerns regarding forecast accuracy. It may not seem that way to some, but we are continually striving to make the best marine forecasts we can. I think we're pretty darn good most of the time. But, there are times... you understand. Thanks again.

Bill S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts