Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Baby Grey Trout..These fish a rare these days, used to catch them up to 14 lbs
back in the late 70`s early 80`s. Like Scotty sang on wed. nite, GONE-on American Idol!
Glad I lived in that era.

Capt.Skid

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
It is unusual now days but it used to be common. In addition to the 5 to 10 lb fish caught jigging deep . . . you would catch 10 to 14 inch fish left and right jigging squid at the 12 mile marker.

The population is basically crashed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
About this time of year at spots along the CBBT, you couldn't hit bottom for those 9-14" trout...screen would be top to bottom black with them. Very sad when someone takes a pic of a grey trout and wonders what it is.

Someone was curious if it was a weakfish...true. Up north you rarely see a speckled trout, so the grey is the only trout in town. No need for separate names.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The baby Grey Trout are still a reasonably common catch for me in the Mobjack Bay area. What I can't figure out is why they are so scarce in a keeper size, much less the nice ones that used to be around. You'd think that if there are a fair number of babies around, that in a few years they would grow up--maybe something preying on them? I know sharks love 'em, but I don't think there are an unusual number or those around. Could be a disease??

·
Registered
734 Posts
Funny...I was thinking the same thing. Just another species that just isn't around anymore. Big bluefish....grey trout...breaking striper...pretty much sux. Good thing the red drum regulations seem to be working.
I could not have said that any better. Remember the days of the big bluefish on a blitz in the bay? That sure was some fun fishing. Grey trout...everytime I catch one I treat it as if it is a newborn baby and put it back as I do not want to hurt it in any way. I am sure one day they will be gone.

Dave
Island Bound

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The baby Grey Trout are still a reasonably common catch for me in the Mobjack Bay area. What I can't figure out is why they are so scarce in a keeper size, much less the nice ones that used to be around. You'd think that if there are a fair number of babies around, that in a few years they would grow up--maybe something preying on them? I know sharks love 'em, but I don't think there are an unusual number or those around. Could be a disease??
The single main reason none of these species including the trout can't survive is the menhaden population is gone! The baby trout become striper food in the fall when they migrate out of the bay. The reason there are no big blues in the bay, huge Grey Trout and breaking stripers is no food.

Until Omega is stopped the decline will only continue to get worse.

It is really sad as someone mentioned that a grey can be caught and someone doesn't know what it is....fish management at it's best!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I remember anchoring up at the 4th on the spine with a generator in the bow of the boat and light trees aft and live spot on every line and just slaying the 10-12 lb greys. That is a thing of the past. Not sure if we were the culprits or the netting world got to them but they are rare even the little ones. I also put everyone back and treat it like it is gold, very endagnered at this point it would appear.
CCPB

·
Registered
279 Posts
I catch alot of small ones during the summer on the eastern shore, but have only seen one nice one in the last or seven years. We used to jig the cherrystone reef in may with sting silvers and catch nice gray trout but that fishery has dwindled to nothing in the last 5 years

1 - 20 of 29 Posts