Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never fish for any trout specifically, so I don't know if it is typical this time of year or a good sign for the species but Friday night I caught a bunch of small, 8 to 10 inch grey trout at the HRBT. They were chasing the tons of bait fish that were in the light line. They were pretty much everywhere. No notable catches besides that, but I did catch a baby gag grouper which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Omega will be after them as soon as they get to 12inches. In 1983 Philip Halstead caught a 19 pounder at the cbbt. There were thousands of grey trout back then.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
They were the prettiest fish in the bay. Their pink, purple, blue iridecsent colors when first caught were exquisite. I sure miss those cold hardy sea trout.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I was out a couple weeks ago fishing close to new point lighthouse, looking for spot.
Caught alot of small gray trout. Looking a DF , seeing what I though would be thousands of trout
-guessing most of fish in this are were trout since I was catching 2 at a time as soon as it hit bottom-
I was thinking, Man this is good for the future! Made me feel good!

Really got a shot in the gut on ride back into creek! Nets line the bay along the drops the whole way.
If fact so many its VERY hard not to cross over one. Which I hate to do.
I noticed while watching watermen set one along the channel leading into Davis Creek- ( pretty shallow water) , it was very small mesh.
(small mesh=small fish)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I know people got to make a living but come on, enough is enough. Where is VMRC or marine police when you need them. If this is not illegal then it should be.

It seems that our country is in the I got to get it while I can before the next guy does mode. Look at the country's debt, out of this world, people are charging anything they want on credit cards instead of waiting until they got the money to buy it, people are taking on so much college debt just to get a degree that it will take them 10-20 years just to pay it off,

So it is no wonder that our fisheries are being depleted!!!

On a positive note, 2 at a time will mean some will grow up to make more for someone to catch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know people got to make a living but come on, enough is enough. Where is VMRC or marine police when you need them. If this is not illegal then it should be.

It seems that our country is in the I got to get it while I can before the next guy does mode. Look at the country's debt, out of this world, people are charging anything they want on credit cards instead of waiting until they got the money to buy it, people are taking on so much college debt just to get a degree that it will take them 10-20 years just to pay it off,

So it is no wonder that our fisheries are being depleted!!!

On a positive note, 2 at a time will mean some will grow up to make more for someone to catch.
Your frustration is misguided. Those guys are setting gill nets for spot. Legally I might add. The mesh is too large for the small speckles and greys that you are seeing. They do not want to catch those fish.

Those guys are trying to make a living and are not to be confused with Omega. There are a fraction of those small local commercial fisherman when comparing them to even 10 or 15 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts