Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we sure didnt wax them but a couple other boats did.this was our prize for the day.

31 lber.
we started off in the fog with glass like conditions.
With the oi fishing center reports we concentrated our efforts from the Rodananthe peir north.We saw several nice cobia after putting 15 nice live baits in the livewell which took no effort.(8 inch blues) We waisted most of our morning from the peir northward.At 1 we decided to go for a quick peek south because my son had his last ball game this afternoon.What we found were lots and i mean lots of cobia.They were feeding hardcore when a fog bank rolled in as we caught our first one.There were several other boats wsorking this area with doubles on as we arrived.We probaly saw 25 or 30 cobia being caught by 12 or so boats as we entered into the magic area south of the peir by several miles.then the fogg rolled in and made seeing them almost impossible.Then the fog as mysteriously as it came.We had 30 minutes more to fish and saw several cobia well over 50 lbs. with lock jaw.Picked up and headed back to OI.We saw four more on our ride back and two boats hooked up with cobia by the boiler.So they are scattered some but still a massive not south of the peir.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that grease is smelling good and cobia is back on the menu.This was my nephews second trip into the Atlantic and he now has two 30 lb. mahi and one 31 lb. cobia to his resume.We also picked a couple spanish in tight when we were looking for cobia but that was not what we were after so we left them for bigger things.Like i said we didnt wax em but we got cobia back on the menu.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
WTG Richard sounds like you had a good trip but all I see is an X. I read on the Poacher web site that he was getting into them and nice size ones at that. Keep up the good work and reports. Did your son win his last game????

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will be down next weekend with my family and would like to try and get a few cobes to the boat. I shouldnt have any trouble getting some live bait, but I have never live baited for cobia out of oregon inlet. I am used to feeding the bait out to feeding fish or casting to them with bucktails. if you could give any advice on rigs, hooks, techniques to get one in the boat I would really appreciate it. Im new to this whole thing but would really love to make it work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bacc,

Stick with the buctails.keep one spinning rod with a single hook rigged and bait attached so when you do get that big cobia who isnt interested in your bucktail you can switch rods same deal pitch it out in front of him. Doesnt always work but alot times it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.