Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLENTY OF SMALL BLUES. GOT A DECENT FLOUNDER FOR DINNER. COULD HAVE DONE VERY WELL WITH THE FLATTIES, BUT MY#$%^#$ MINNOW BUCKET POPPED OPEN WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING.

SHARKS:

I just deleted the story of the two sharks I hooked while cobia fishing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's the story I don't want my wife to read! Bull and sandbar sharks: The people who got eaten in 2001 were eaten by one bull and one sandbar shark. Still think they are harmless? I read that the bull shark is the most agressive second only to the great white. You should be safe anyway in your yak unless you fall out or reel a big one up close to your boat. If you get one and you really want to keep it, paddle in to shore with it on your line and land it from the beach.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was fishing alone, yet there were other yakkers around.
I have been going to the same spot yak fishing for over seven years, and am very familiar with it. I decided It was okay to stay and drift the blue 50 yards down again.

I wrote the post to share the report, not look for advice.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
"If I were up north in mako/tiger territorry would've headed back after the first sign of a shark. Down here they are very rare, so i figured I was okay on perfectly flat water. "

Hmmmmm was it just a couple of weeks ago a RATHER LARGISH Tiger Shark was caught at the 3rd Island? Hmmmm makes me wonder...and wasnt it in 2001-2002 that those tourons were bit up by Bull Sharks here in Va. Beach and Hatteras? Yeah...I seem to remember that...

YUMMMMMMMmmmmmm YAK FISHERMEN...the other white meat...

YAK FISHERMEN...its whats fer dinnner....

·
Registered
575 Posts
All of what I said was really meant in a light hearted manner. I wasn't trying to question anyone's judgement. In fact, I wouldn't mind fishing for sharks from my yak. In fact, you could hook one in any number of locations and not know it until you got it to the surface. I had a huge ray on Saturday that could have been a shark. If I had one I would cut him off before I got him beside the boat or I would paddle in to shore and then bring him in. I don't think you are in any danger unless you try to boat it or fool around trying to unhook it or something.

Good report.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's cool. I did survey the situation pretty closely. It would be good to have a partner when fishing for cobia, so If you ever wanna go live baiting, send me a b-mail.

I erased the account cause I don't want the great time I had to be up for review or heckled, as I could see a pattern developing. I really was asking for it by posting it so it's all good. I don't want to stop the dialog, but I'd rather take that story off the talking block and stand by my decisions, as I was the one who was there.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
fishfool, NOT TRYING TO GIVE YOU A HARD TIME...BEEN THERE...DONE THAT...THE 3-4' BULLSHARK I HAD CRUISE BY ME SUNDAY GAVE ME THE WILLIES TOO...JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT TIGERS AND BIG BULLS ARE NOT RARE IN OUR WATERS! Seems the CLT held a resident Tiger for a while a few years back and I cant count the # of Big Bulls I've been hooked up on in the bay...do not be fooled...there be toothed critters in them thar waters...LOL with the big (14'+)White Sharks caught off the mouth of Rudee Inlet a couple of years ago It'll make the hairs on your neck stand on end LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
White Shark off the mouth of Rudee....I know one was caught in nets quite a few miles out and I think it was more near snadbridge, but its nothing new. Great whites travel this coast to go north and a few have been caught over the years.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was nothing really special about them, just exiting. Both were pretty good sized biters. My milk crate slammed down at a 45 degree angle on 0t first. After the second one I figured it was time to quit fishing for cobia while solo.
I was on my sit-on-top, in glassy flat water, no wind, at a place ive been fishing for seven years, within 150 feet of smith island, and close to other yakkers and a boat. I don't ever have any intention of sharking from a yak(but I would love to haul bait from shore) It was pretty exiting to see my line zip around in a 40 foot semi-circe, and before I could get into position WHAM! the rack of rods upends the milk crate and Ive got pandemonium on a yak.
Ive decided to be vewy cautious about telling that one to my wife. I will try to get a fishing partner before I go dropping blues out there again.

Something new ive discovered:
I took a 10 foot (light graphite) surf rod out to Smith island to surf fish the ocean with (you don't want to venture into the ocean in a kayak, too many deadly rips and breakers). I discovered on the way out that the rod became a perfect outriger for trolloing live minnows. You could even do storm shads with good success. The 10 foot rod is just short enough to still be managable, yet long enough to troll bait just like an outriger. I would like to set up two so I have a spread. [grin]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts