Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be in that area this weekend trolling up blues and spanish. What chanel? Have fun, Cutbait

·
Registered
258 Posts
We're gonna try the same thing in the same area on Sunday. Trolling down river from #5 to the light. Calling for SW 10-15, 2ft - should be ok around there though. I'll be on 68 aboard Just Hook It - 23 Seapro WA.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunday morning we trolled up about 20 little blues. No spanish but 10 little rocks as well. Things slowed down around 10 am. We were right by the Smith Pt. light. Beautiful morning.

·
Registered
258 Posts
At least you had some pullage. We never made it quite to the light as we ended up having a friend follow in his 17' cc. It got a little bumpy coming down river when we cleared the point so we just went to the jetty. We drifted a number times with nothing and as I watched about 5 flounder brought up by others right beside us. [email protected]#[email protected]! Oh well, next is Charleston, Sc and then Hatteras.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I drifted the Pt. Lookout bar Sun. Afternoon and didn't get a strike. Tried trolling for blues and spanish with equal result. Got too hot to fish around 2:30. Slow day. Lotd of crabs in the pots though.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
[Q]Cutbait originally wrote:
Saw those guys drifting for flounder when we came in. Are they picking up keepers there?
[/Q]I saw a post somewhere on here about flounder caught at Smith Pt. jetties. I have heard nothing this year about Pt. Lookout. Has been fair in past years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to catch some spanish you have to be out there early and fish for them till about 9 after that they will stop biting. Also, you need to troll at 6 to 7 knots anything slower all you will catch is striper and blues.

·
Registered
702 Posts
moviatt, so are u saying that you have caught spanish in the area this year.

thanks
pepsi

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have only caught a few this year around the channel around smith point light. Late July and August is a much better time of year. When I fish for spanish I always run the channels edge. Use your Gps or your fish finder to stay on the edge. The most important part is the speed if you are cautching blues and stripers your going to slow. Now you may catch a few when you turn because your baits will slow down but when going straight along the channels edge 6 to 7 knots.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also, along with the morning bite, I normally catch the evening bite. They can turn on right before sunset too. Thats normally when I get them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yeah Purdue, that is why I was asking, cause I have been targeting them in the windmill pt. area the last couple of evenings w/ no luck. That is alright, cause now I am on vacation w/ 100% focus on 1 thing.[grin][grin]

pepsi man

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is still a little early for them to be hitting in full force. August is the deal! Hope all this rain doesn't hurt though. Macs are my favorite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts