Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smoker that produces awesome BBQ but recently heard smoked carp is very, very good too. I usually get a good sized one in a net each trip and plan to smoke the next one, either filleting it or cutting steaks. I'm wondering if anybody else has succesfully smoked a carp and have any tips to share regarding cleaning or preparation? And does the eating advisory extend to Carp any more or less than the cats?

I know it sounds gross but I'm going to give it a try. This is my revenge for getting tangled up in my net.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I filleted one many years ago when I was yet a little cherin'. However, I put the meat in my crab pot. I remember it has a lot of dark meat down the middle outer part of the fillet and it is very oily. I would try gar tenderloins before carp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1) Cut the head and tail off, take the guts out, no need to scale.

2) Fill the cavity with horse ******, and tie kite string around the fish to hold in the horse ******.

3) Smoke for 6hrs.

4) Take off smoker, throw away the carp and eat the horse ******.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a friend who smoked carp a couple years back. I got the privelage of being one of the first to taste his creation. Can't say I was impressed. I have never tasted anything like it before but I have stepped in it a time or two. The worst part about it was being able to s*** thru a screen door with out touching the screen upon completion of the meal. Not a plesent memory.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Tommy, do you eat the carp you catch? If so, how do you prepare 'em? Doesn't MDE have an advisory on the consumption of carp over most parts of the state? Haven't seen your posts in a while, been fishin' I guess. How'd you do in the big tourney in NY?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Uncle , No I don't eat them. It's strictly cpr for me. Actually, I haven't had as much time to fish since coming home from the tourney... My partner and I didn't fair so well but we got to brag a little... we had 2nd and 3rd place for the good ol US and won the nations award. Got a nice plaque for blanking in style

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've heard excellent reports on smoked carp from cleaner waters. Metropolitan areas may not be the best for carp sources due to advisories unless you use the littler fish ~10 lbs or so that aren't a living sponge, so choose your sources carefully. Remove the mud vein...searching Google turns up some good recipes or I can PM you some. Just done the wok-thing myself with the odd littler so far.

·
Registered
628 Posts
[Q]TommyRobinson originally wrote:
we had 2nd and 3rd place for the good ol US and won the nations award. Got a nice plaque for blanking in style Q]

Damn, gone all that way to blank and not catch a damned thing and still get an award plaque. Everyone's a winner! But I betcha had a ball. Glad the trip went well. How many days did you bivvy-up on the bank? Did anyone get the Million Dollar Carp?

Tommy here's getting to be quite the celeb in the European carp angling press...several prominent mentions in American Society news columns in recent issues of International Carper magazine. Good news travels fast. Tourny reports look interesting so far; can't wait to read the Euro perspective of things.

·
Registered
453 Posts
[Q]chesapeakecarper originally wrote:
[Q]TommyRobinson originally wrote:
we had 2nd and 3rd place for the good ol US and won the nations award. Got a nice plaque for blanking in style Q]

Damn, gone all that way to blank and not catch a damned thing and still get an award plaque. Everyone's a winner! But I betcha had a ball. Glad the trip went well. How many days did you bivvy-up on the bank? Did anyone get the Million Dollar Carp?

Well I wouldn't say not a damn thing. During the tourney of 115 hours straight fishing we did everything possible to try and catch one. Fish just did not travel that road. When we drew the peg on the island we asked the local guides their opinion before we set sail. It was a "not good" from the both of them. Maybe a shot at a big fish but definatley will not win with that peg. Now, I thought we would at least catch some fish there but 5 days we only saw one fish and it looked sick. No one caught the million dollar record breaking fish. In a way , I'm glad we blanked that long. One or two fish caught in all that time (which is what more then half the competitors caught during the event) would have made it seem that we had some hope. We didn't :). However, after the tourney I had to go to another place on that beautiful river to at least catch a fish - and I did. Not a big one but a fish nonetheless.

Tommy here's getting to be quite the celeb in the European carp angling press...several prominent mentions in American Society news columns in recent issues of International Carper magazine. Good news travels fast. Tourny reports look interesting so far; can't wait to read the Euro perspective of things.

Helps when you make friends with Candy- She's a good gal and looking forward to setting her up with some Chesapeake Carp. You are more then welcome to join us anytime Pat and any other TF'ers as well.
Here's a few pics from the trip.

My one and only fish:
[/Q]

Candy and Carl from the Baltimore Sun

A view of the river at sunset:

One last shot of the river and our camp

St Lawrence River - Ogden Island -- Massena, NY.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Those are some gorgeous pics Tommy; I really envy you for the opportunity to travel north to carp Mecca...maybe someday; and a mighty nice looking specimen.

Candus Thompson of the Sunpapers has come up in the ranks, and created her niche, since joining the Sunpapers and she'a a great and knowledgable gal. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a Maryland Invasive Species Council (MISC) gathering of us gov't eggheads at the Md Dept. of Ag where she gave a great talk on public relations and the media. I introduced myself, she immediately assumed a putting face-to-name tone and replied "Ooohhh, so YOU'RE Pat....and you're not a REGULAR kind of angler, are you?" Candus surely did her local research between us on carp and promoting carp angling and we had a nice chat on that, some of her recent and future article issues as well as concerns of the Council.

Chesapeake carpin' for me has eased up a bit post-spawn on the Chester and we're assuming a night pattern, following the fish, almost exclusively now until fall for the reclusive biguns venturing (relatively) shallow to feed. Best summer pattern areas remain accessed by boat and farmer bankside permission. Somehow we manage to fight our way through the Chester cats...but they pay their price in the cooler with the odd littler carp for the wok [grin][grin]

"Spot on" Tommy from another IRREGULAR Chesapeake angler. Sorry for the multiple edits; miscalculated wake-up vs tide vs not enough coffee.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Gilfilte fish(Spelling?)pronounced Gill filta is a popular semi sweet,garlicy,Jewish pickled fish that contains Carp and is very tasty.It is ground up like meat balls and comes in a jar like herring.It is much milder flavored than herring and doesn't have the vinegar bite that herring does.You can buy it in some grocery stores.If I were going to smoke/pickle a carp,it would have to come from a reservoir,not a river.A friend sells these from the Bay to jewish people and a Rabi blesses them but they must be alive when they buy them.Jewish people are pretty cautious about what they eat so it might be OK.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've seen the Gefilta Fish in Balto markets...some of them don't contain carp...but I have followed the Jewish ritual and cuisine re these fish. Is your friend by any chance a comemrcial waterman? DNR and Md Waterman Assoc (I joined the Assoc as an avenue to further my carp research) gave me a couple waterman contacts that net and sell Bay carp. I'm always interested in the continued commercial harvest of these fish and how far down the Bay they find them...with the many Asian markets openning up in the Balto area the small scale market may be on the increase. They always have some carp on ice with all the other exotic and far-out this and that[grin][grin]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts