Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a smoker for my Birthday that has 6 trays that i can fill with whatever. Has anyone ever smoked striper, tog, spade, flounder, tuna , mahi, wahoo steaks??? I've had smoked salmon, herring, and all sorts of trout using hickory chips and it came out amazing but as far as saltwater fish, i haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Speaking from experience as a chef, the leaner the fish the more careful you want to be. You don't want to dry it out too much. That said, any fish can be smoked. A delicate fish like flounder will take a more delicate smoke, try applewood. An oily fish like blue fish will stand up to hardier woods like mesquite or hickory. A short soak in brine will also help to add flavor and prevent over drying the fish. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I smoke Stripers every winter and let me tell you they are AWESOME!!!!!

I marinade the fish fillets in my secret sauce for 1 - 2 days, then put on the smoker with either apple or mesquite and a water pan.

I prefer the thicker fillets as they stay nice and moist. Don't over smoke them it only takes about 20-30 minutes.

Serve right off the rack or cold with cream cheese and crackers. It doesn't get much better. My friends beg me for more every year.

Also, wahoo, kings, mahi, etc. are good smoked too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I smoked stripers this past winter it turned out great. 1 table spoon non-iodized salt per cup of water, 1 packed cup of brown sugar. Soak fillets for 2 hrs then rinse with cold water and pat dry, put fillets on plate and let set in cool place for 1 hour or till they take on a shine then add coarsely ground pepper on top of fillets. I soak hickory chunks for 24hrs prior to use. Smoke fish 4-5hrs low heat and add chunks of wood thru out entire smoking process, temp should be raised to 160 for half hour to kill any bacteria. Enjoy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only one of you knows the art of smoking. Real smoked fish is always cold smoked. The heat that makes the smoke cannot be contained in the same container as the fish that is to be smoked.

The smoked fish you other guys are talking about is cooked fish with a smokey flavor. Please don't think I am trying to be a smoked fish know it all, but I lived in southeastern Alaska for five years. That is what the native Alaskans taught me. I must say though anyway you cook or smoke fish, it's always good.:clapping2:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I initially got the ingredients for this dip here on tidalfish a couple years ago and have fine tuned it to my liking. I wish I could remember who posted it. Anyway, here it is!

SMOKED BLUEFISH DIP

Here is my best guess on how i make it because it is a 'mix to taste' recipe:

1) Smoke the bluefish. I soak the fillets in a solution of 1qt. water and 1/4 cup salt overnight. Soak hickory chunks overnight. Go to BPS and get the big, fat hickory chunks in the big bag. Make sure to soak them at least 6 hours or they will catch on fire. Smoke the piss out of the bluefish. It is an oily fish and will still melt in your mouth even when it looks like beef jerky!

Ingredients:

(12) fillets from 6 one to four pound bluefish

Big container of sour cream

small jar of mayonaise

jar of capers

bunch of green onions

jar of dijon mustard

cayenne pepper

2) Chop the smoked bluefish fillets into small chunks. Chop the onions up. Put into a big bowl. Mix sour cream and dijon mustard until you it's pretty firm. Then add some mayo, use alot more sour cream than mayo. Mix in the whole jar of capers and chopped green onions. Add just maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. The object is for it to enhance the taste but not add any noticable heat. Taste as you go but remember that the taste and consistency of this dip/spread will be alot different after it sits in the frig overnight. You can always add more stuff to it the next day.

Serve with pretty much any kind of cracker. You will not be able to stop eating this stuff. It is that good!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I have a bullet smoker but would think the temps get too high (200-300) for fish? How should I smoke them? I gotta try!

·
Registered
421 Posts
You Can Smoke Fish In A Bullet Smoker. I Recomend A Book That Has Some Good Smoked Fish Recipies Along With Beef Pork And Chicken. "smoke And Spice" By Bill And Cheryll Jamison. I Bought It At Barnes And Noble And You Can Use The Techniques In The Recipies To Smoke Diferrent Types Of Fish. They Also Have A Book For All Types Of Outdoor Cooking In General But I Cant Remember The Name Of It

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm convinced and can't wait to use my new toy, does anyone have any recipes they can foward or know of a link ?? This is making me hungry thinking about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I smoke a lot of fish, mostly rockfist, the most important thing is to dry the fish before smoking until it has a shiny, tacky look. Drying the fish before you smoke it seals the moisture in, also start off at a low smoke temp for the fisrt hour ( 120 f) then increase to ( 200 to 222 f) for an additional hour. It makes for a great smoked fish without drying it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts