Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:clap:Finally a day when the wind wasn't howling during the week. Left SP, checked out the WSRP, Nada. Had read the reports on fish at the mouth of eastern bay. Headed there for the morning tide change. Never made it. Saw chickens working the edge just north of matapeake on the drop off and went to give them a look. Hit 15 or 20 17" in the school and made some drifts in, out and below the school. It turned out that the better fish were inside and even with the school. Got my 2 (both 22")real quick and my partner got one for the box. He wanted larger fish. The school was moving so rapidly it was tough to get more than a fish or 2 before moving. Went outside the school and he immediately got a 24. We now had our limit and it was fun time. The quality kept getting better as we let the school go and stayed on the better fish. Landed another 10 that would have been keepers including a big fat 26. My fishin buddy got on my case about not waiting for that bigger fish, but I believe 1 in the box is better than 50 maybe's. White 5" bass assasins were the ticket, but we went to heavy jig heads to get them to the bottom. For what it is worth almost all of the good fish came in 31 ft of water. Several other boats came in everyone knew how to fish a school and no one spooked the fish. Good day with two and a half hours of pullage. Weather was a little raw and the tide started to move like a scaulded cat. Headed home for a rockfish dinner.
fishboy

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sweet report, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
[B said:
fishboy823;1204554Several other boats came in everyone knew how to fish a school and no one spooked the fish. fishboy[/B]
I am new to jigging a school of breaking fish. Coluld some of you more experienced anglers provide me with some points on how to approach a school w/o spooking them and ruining it for me and others. thanks. Might give it a go tomorrow:))...Don

·
Registered
615 Posts
Don,

Quite simple actually... but probably best learned from taking some Ho's out:rolleyes:

Seriously,
1) Do not run through the school on plane.
2) Get up wind or current which ever is greater.
3) Cast or drop into school
4) Let it drop and work the lure back up through the water column
5) Maintain a taut line
6) Repeat steps 3-5

Ok, maybe there are a few more tricks, but not much. Number 5 is the key.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Gooid advice above.

You'll "generally" find larger fish deeper. Try retrieveing throguh different depths, at varying speeds.

Not all fish will be under birds. Watch the depth finder when you are over them so you can identify what larger fish look like on the meter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Fishboy - it was good chatting with you on the water this morning. We ran down to EB and marked alot of large fish but could only manage 2 nice one's - 24 and a fat 10LB 28 incher. Threw white shads, stingsilvers, other colored assasins, gold hopkins etc. They all had lock jaw except for the one's we boated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts