Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son is getting close to buying a Smoker 161 Promag for inland water fishing. Anyone ever owned one or have any knowlege of the brand? Thanks in advance for any replies, Paul

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
We had a Smokecraft 16ft. bowrider growing up (80's). For as much as I can remember it was a great boat. Never had any problems with the boat. My Dad was constantly tinkering with the late 70's Merc on there.:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own a 14 ft voyager- great little boat. The service at Cooper's in Richmond has been outstanding. Had a faulty impeller, and Mr. Cooper fixed it and threw in lower unit oil change for free. Old fashioned family service. I want to upgrade to a promag, looking for one used. They seem hard to find- folks seem to hang on to them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
One of my other boats is a 14' Smokercraft Big Fisherman. I had it for 10 years and run it from Conowingo Dam to the flats and use it for crabbing. Will keep it forever.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kevin,
Just checked the registration, model year 1994. The boat has always been well taken care of.She has a few scars on the bottom from running up river to Conowingo. The 15 hp Johnson looks like it's been in war.

As much as I like catching rockfish from the Parker; I love smallmouth fishing on the Susq.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
As much as I like catching rockfish from the Parker; I love smallmouth fishing on the Susq.
I know the feeling brother!

The Parker sees the big water, but I use my neighbors Whaler Montauk in the skinny.

And... beginning this spring I'm adding a fishing kayak to the mix.
The perch and pickerel won't have a chance. :D

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
I've owned several Alluminum boats."All" the ones that have rivets,eventually leaked .The same goes for friends of mine that have owned and 'used" them hundreds & hundreds of times.We believe that alot of the loose rivets come from the trailer bouncing over the roads as much as pounding on the waves.Go with "All Welded" and preferably no wood floors that will eventually rot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts