Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over the DNR fishing violations I see where there were some snakehead violations. Does anyone know what kind of violations they would be? I was under the impression that the state wanted them out of here. So I would think anything goes when it comes to ridding the waters of them.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Could be possession of live snakehead. Very illegal. Cross state line, federal. Big fine and jail time. Deservedly so.

If you decide to keep them, you must kill them, not just throw in cooler or live well. It is legal to catch and immediately release however if you choose to. But in my opinion you should not. Other opinions differ and that's fine. (Here comes capt nick in 3,2,1)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scofflaws have been relocating them to any & every body of water since the early 2000’s. They feel the species s/b spread like the plague without regard for the long term ramifications..... All in the name of catching a future dragon & posting it to FB....So everyone knows what a real fisherman looks like. 🤪😜🧐🤪🤨🧐🤪🤨🧐

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Best river gamefish we ever had . They should be stocking them and giving them gamefish status the same as Bass. It is legal to release Snakeheads where you caught them.I release all mine . They are too valuable to me as a sport fish than to become a fish taco. They fight harder than Bass , grow bigger and can be caught in tidal river waters that are only known for rough fish like carp and catfish. The perfect tidal river Sport Fish.. I am now seeing more people fishing for them than Bass . They love fishing for them. Execpt for some claims on the Blackwater Swamp , there he been no known problems associated with Snakeheads in any other tidal river in th Chesapeake Bay . They love Gizzard Shad.

·
Registered
703 Posts
DNR used to have a Police Blotter that I liked to read. It seemed to go away around the time of the rockfish poaching epidemic. Now all you hear about is what they consider "News".

Where did you read about the snakehead violations?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DNR.maryland.gov/fisheries
Dept. of Natural Resources Recreational Fishing and Crabbing Suspensions

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Violations were for live transportation
That's the only violation there is. Can not transport live Snakeheads. That says it all. It is unlawfull to possess live snakehads . You either let it go where you caugt it or kill it if you want to keep it .

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Maybe if we get a Democratic Governor next time, he will declare " racisim" for wanton killing Asian Snakeheads because of their non naive origin? I love Snakehead fishing and I would have to vote for him under the circumstances.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
General understanding is, if you get checked while transporting and the fish twitches when poked, you’re getting a ticket. Period.

All of mine get gutted at launch. Not taking any chances. Or cut their heads off before you leave.

Chris

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
done workin You have already transported them back to the launch by boat alive. Illegal. Must be dead in possession. Shore fishermen that throw them in the cooler with ice because they don't want blood all over the place are technically illegal too. Once you've decided to keep the fish , you are supposed to kill it immediately.Anyone who is transporting them to another tidal river is wasting their time. They are either already there or they can soon swim there. Not worth the fine. They can swim from the mouth of the Potomac , where they have been seen and caught a Buzz's Marina, to the Conowingo Dam just as easy as a Striped Bass can. They are very strong ,slender .torpedo built,muscular fsh, capable of swimming long distances..Super Fish. They'll be here when other native fish can no lnger survive in the Chesapeake Bay if given half a chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best river gamefish we ever had . They should be stocking them and giving them gamefish status the same as Bass. It is legal to release Snakeheads where you caught them.I release all mine . They are too valuable to me as a sport fish than to become a fish taco. They fight harder than Bass , grow bigger and can be caught in tidal river waters that are only known for rough fish like carp and catfish. The perfect tidal river Sport Fish.. I am now seeing more people fishing for them than Bass . They love fishing for them. Execpt for some claims on the Blackwater Swamp , there he been no known problems associated with Snakeheads in any other tidal river in th Chesapeake Bay . They love Gizzard Shad.
Are you kidding? Snakeheads are invasive and are eating the best young gamefish. Nasty things to deal with and leave your boat stinking.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kill and eat every one you catch. They are great table fare. If you don’t eat them, give them away. No need to release them.:.Unless you are one of them that need a DRAGON pic in your Huk shirt to justify your fishing prowess. They spawn multiple times per year and are already EVERYWHERE. Help out the native species, and the invasive bass, by cracking every snakehead skull you reel in.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Kill and eat every one you catch. They are great table fare. If you don’t eat them, give them away. No need to release them.:.Unless you are one of them that need a DRAGON pic in your Huk shirt to justify your fishing prowess. They spawn multiple times per year and are already EVERYWHERE. Help out the native species, and the invasive bass, by cracking every snakehead skull you reel in.
Only fish worth a dam in brackish water long live the slimy snakehead

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
If any fisherman believes that killing all the Snakeheads will solve the problem of our diminishing tidal river species, you haven't been paying attention for the last 40 years , They may be "Thee" only Gamefish species that will be able to survive in our tidal rivers in the future and it won't have anything to do with them eating everything else up.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
done workin You have already transported them back to the launch by boat alive. Illegal. Must be dead in possession. Shore fishermen that throw them in the cooler with ice because they don't want blood all over the place are technically illegal too. Once you've decided to keep the fish , you are supposed to kill it immediately.Anyone who is transporting them to another tidal river is wasting their time. They are either already there or they can soon swim there. Not worth the fine. They can swim from the mouth of the Potomac , where they have been seen and caught a Buzz's Marina, to the Conowingo Dam just as easy as a Striped Bass can. They are very strong ,slender .torpedo built,muscular fsh, capable of swimming long distances..Super Fish. They'll be here when other native fish can no lnger survive in the Chesapeake Bay if given half a chance.
Capt Nick,

You’re right, I was always focused on the “driving it home” aspect

Afte reading DNRs website again, even possesion with intent to keep requires immediate death. COMAR essentially says the same thing.It used to be transport with intent to relocate or re-establish.

Intent is good, but application is bad.

Gee let’s keep the fish that I want to eat in warm water for a few hours. Keeping in mind that a large number of these fish are caught on kayaks, kinda hard to have a cooler and ice on board.

Nonetheless, thanks for the clarification.

Chris

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Everybody doesn't kill them, I catch most in a kayak and I release them all. They're good to eat but alot more fun to catch. You can only kill and eat them once .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I choose to take them all home because my family & friends like eating them. I fish for them on the upper west side and in my unscientific opinion the biomass has increased exponentially in the last few years. I am curious to see how many are around when the water warms in the coming weeks and they really get active

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
That's the way it was when I started to fish for Rockfish in the 60s. All you want,12 in. or bigger, open year around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts