Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try and post a picture this weekend. Looking for a marine mechanic or machine shop recommendation that could fit me in sooner rather than later. I was removing the 2 hex head bolts on my elctric tilt and trim motor a few weeks back and the back bolt snapped with a little less than 1/8 sticking out. I tried to get a lock wrench on it but it kept popping off. Still may be able to weld on a nut to what is sticking out and screw it out. I was told it would need to be a tig weld as the bolt is stainless steel. If that doesn't work the motor will likely need to be removed to get to it and drill it or find another way to get it out. The bolt has a slight bend in it because me (knucklehead) put it back in 2 years ago when I thought the motor was bad and found it was just a cut wire under the cowling. The wire finally rusted out and I snapped the bolt when removing to put on a new motor which I have. Simple $2 bolt looks like it could cost me a pretty penny to fix, lesson learned. NEVER put a bent bolt back in anything. Any help finding a place to get it fixed or someone that knows a person with a tig welder willing to give that a try first would be appreciated. J

·
Registered
236 Posts
johnnyo, You may have more options to free the bolt. I can look at your motor today if you are in the Annapolis area.
No charge. I sent you a PM but I think it did not go through.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is special welding rod for stainless that works with a arc welder. I found this out when I took a SS step bracket to Browns welding in Beltsville last year. Good luck!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
Try this:

Mix a 50/50 solution of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Apply liberal mixture to broken bolt.
Allow to saturate threaded area.
Lightly tap broken bolt with hammer and drift pin or other rod.
Apply more mixture.
Try using vice grips to remove broken portion.
Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Johnnyo I ran in to you at the marina and saw your delima. I wish ya luck on the bolt problem. We had a rough ride over to St. Michaels. Took a little over an hour to get there but we had a great lunch with the family. Nice smooth ride back. We didn't get back until almost dark, didn't see ya. Was hoping you got it but seeing the piece of wood I didn't think so. I know a lot of guys that can do welding of that sort but over an hour away. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kevin and all the responders. Jim (22 CC rider) came out and we took the long way around but ended up getting it out with a nice pair of channel locks and his special version of PB blaster (and putting it all back together). Jim is a great guy and says his passion is fiberglass work which I would highly recommend him for as I could see he is very knowledgable on everything about boats.!!! Jim thanks so much for taking the time to come to the boat and helping me!!!! By the way Kevin, I use the piece of wood as a lock to hold the motor in place so the pressure is just the bracket . It was a little trick they showed me at Ches. Whaler Towne some years back. Thanks again Jim and I hope you find some more folks to help, you are a good man!!!!! J

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Good to hear you got busted bolt out.

Just another fine example of TFers helping each other out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts