Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gent's I am wondering how much money it costs you guys to tie on Bungee Snoods.
Also what are the different methods used to attach the bait on the end?
While at Cabelas yesteray, I picked up some small clips used to control Duck Decoys ( Depth Adjusters)
They have a Small SS spring in them and remind me of draw string fasteners on a jacket I am thinking these could be easily used to sinch down on a Crab neck. I could then use the cord for tying decoys together as the actual Snood line. Have any of you guys looked into this type of setup before I experiment ??

Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not sure if I'd waste my time with those decoy clips, they might work thru a season but in the long run there not going to hold up

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Jack
I saw the depth adjusters for the decoy lines last fall at BPS and just for experimentation ,picked up some to try out on my snoods,
I found that they would not grip the bungee tight enough to hold the necks on well, necks were coming out of the loop, & I was baitless
the fuel hose grips better & allows the bungie cord to stretch around the neck,the tighter the rubber band the better it holds, & non stretch cords & twine other than bungie never worked, crabs would just walk away with the bait
they just didn't work for me.
I have tried many different combinations of line & cord for snoods ,most of which just cost more time spent and money spent and aggravation and found that none worked any better than the bungie cord/fuel hose combination.

the materials cost of putting together a good ,soft lay-bungie cord 1200' trotline is about $125 + your time, it will last a long time.
it is about the same as 1 good rod reel combo

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Scotty's post with the link to Jerry's official directions are the only way to go. Follow it to the "T". Watch tying the bungee VERY HARD on the fingers. If you do it while watching TV, it goes relatively fast, but still very labor intensive. Thge fuel line at Lowes is $ .76 /ft at Lowes. 3/16" ID X 3/8" OD It's in the plumbing dept.

His method for attaching the snood with the double loop (Cow hitch I think) works GREAT!!!!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
Chris,
It's actually two half hitches. If they are tied without the bungee inserted thru the soft lay the knot would be a true Clove Hitch. Inserting the bungee in the soft lay ensures the snood will not slide down the soft lay if it gets hooked on something.

A Cow Hitch is somewhat similar, but definitely different. Very easy to tie, however, not the best knot for this application.

In the past I always used a Cow Hitch to tie necks directly to Locktite when I was using a straight line (not snoods). For me it was much faster to tie than the standard slip knot. It also allowed me to "POP" the baits at the end of the day. I miss that feature.:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.