Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tired of the cold . Tired of the Snow . Well get ready for Snood Fest 8 Just 24 more days to go . SNF8 will be on Sunday February 27th . Get ready & make plans to attend , a good time is always had by all , with great food , & Oysters
Complete details will be posted soon . Stay warm ,Stay safe & I hope to see you all there NORM

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
This is a good thing!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jim I don't think I would even kid about illegal rock fish nets . some body might just turn you in for the reward posted today in the paper . HA ! Ha! I really know your just kidden see you there

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Auction???????---Adm. Ruby

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I say No Auctions. They take too much time and too much effort. I know the proceeds go to Wish a Fish and thats a very worthy cause.

I vote to get back to basics at SF8. There should be Good food, good discussions,crabbing supplies for sale, demonstrations, equipment displays, crabbing memorabilia, crabbing related crafts, etc. Stick with these primarily!

A door prize or raffle, Sure!

I think the event has lost its roots for being a forum to share crabbing info, stories, ideas, display gear, etc.

Thats my opinion. I am not against an Auction but that may be better done in October at CrabFest or maybe another new event.

Ill go with the majority but that is this Chicken Neckers 2 cents worth.

DB

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Burch

I understand your comments but I think that Crabfest is for friends and their families to get together at the tail end of the season, telling stories and cracking a few crabs

Where as Snoodfest was for learning, picking up needed supplies. When Snoodfest was first held there was a lot that didn't know that much, including me. Today, there are at least four attendees who post supplies for sale on either Tidalfish and or their web site all year so I feel that most know more now than ever before so maybe we don't need as much time to learn how to build a trotline or bait a trap.

Raffles are one way to pick up some money for those less fortunate if an auction is voted out.

John

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
Burch

I understand your comments but I think that Crabfest is for friends and their families to get together at the tail end of the season, telling stories and cracking a few crabs

Where as Snoodfest was for learning, picking up needed supplies. When Snoodfest was first held there was a lot that didn't know that much, including me. Today, there are at least four attendees who post supplies for sale on either Tidalfish and or their web site all year so I feel that most know more now than ever before so maybe we don't need as much time to learn how to build a trotline or bait a trap.

Raffles are one way to pick up some money for those less fortunate if an auction is voted out.

John
After 7 more snood fests, you still do not know much........pay attention this time Johndoh:hysterical:............Gary

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I,too,will go with ther majority however I think the auction we held last year was entertaining, provided a lot of laughs, and the amount of $$$ raised for our "cause" was pretty surprising.

I vote we DO hold an auction again but based on what items are donated by TF members/Businesses/Brandon. I really think what JB said is correct - most of us have been taught "how to" to death. Most recently there have been several excellent posts on how to crab, how to make a trotline, how to cook, etc. My perception of our get togethers were to simply relax, eat, drink, and have a chance to see each other before the season and socialize. (Although a lot of effort goes into setup, clean up, cooking,shucking, etc)

Back to the donated items... we only have about two weeks to collect attendee names and ask for donations to auction off so a decision needs to made shortly. One point that needs to be raised again is the need to collect admission $$$ up front from those who simply walk in for a free oyster roast and free food. While working the shucking table I cornered more than one person who did not pay last time around and directed them to the ladies collecting $$$ and watched them get their hand stamped. If we go the route of an auction I will be one of the first people to donate items - just let me know what is decided.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I agree to disagree. Whattteevverraaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the newer rec crabbers can play catch up on their own then.

Set up ticket purchase at the gate before entering parking lot?

SF is becoming quite the commercial event IMO!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
I'm for getting back to what SF and CF were originally intended for.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The very first SF was a teaching and learning experience. We shared our techniques and shortcuts, helpful tips and hints pertaining to crabbing. It was 100% an all guys event.<o:p></o:p>
Being the great bunch of fellows that we are, we next thought of our better halves, loved ones and families and set up CF in an attempt to share the good times with families and friends; a time to kick back and enjoy.<o:p></o:p>
Along the way we helped raise needed funds for one of our members who suffered a terrible mishap. This was certainly an exception to the normal course of action that takes place at these two events. Thankfully it was successful. It was not intended to be a trend setter. Somehow this fund raising thing began to become the expected thing to do. Why or how, I do not know. While I'm addressing this subject I have to say we have been pretty good at raising $$$$ for others while at the same time the amount of money collected to offset the cost of putting on these events has not kept in line with what the actual expenses really are. In plain English&#8230;. We took in less at CF than it cost us to cover the cost of hall rental, and all the other incidentals. This cannot continue. There are, like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName>Chuck</st1:personName> accurately stated, too many people trying to get a free lunch. I'm not talking one or two individuals&#8230;.it has been many more than one would imagine. It's a sad day when Mary and Beth have to hunt down grown adults into paying their $10.00 admission fee. It gets to be frustrating after a while. <o:p></o:p>
Anyway, I've allowed myself to get side tracked from the main issue and am returning to addressing my thoughts about the question originally posed.<o:p></o:p>
My vote is for a return to the original purpose of both events. Forget auctions&#8230;. They are entertaining; however, they take up a very large amount of time. By the time they take place the greater percentage of attendees have packed up and gone home leaving only a small group to bid on items. I believe the 50/50 drawings, if they continue, should have the proceeds go to paying for expenses. In the past they have gone elsewhere.

There's a lot of hard work by many individuals that goes unrewarded and who are not acknowledged for their efforts and contributions. It's the same folks at every event. This event is for all of us and all of us should contribute in some way other than only by paying the price of admission. Many do, but many, many more just sit back and let the other guy/gal do the work. This too has to stop.

OK, you know what some of my thoughts/feelings are on this subject. Let's hear yours.<o:p></o:p>

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I'm against the auction. If we need to raise money (and we should) -- place a donation jar at the front of the room and encourage people to donate throughout the day, sell raffle tickets, spin a wheel, whatever. Last time, the coolers I bought auctioned off for considerably less than I paid for them so the charity would have been better off if I had made the cash donation. Once the auction starts, you can't socialize and if you do, people interested in bidding are annoyed because they can't hear. I really enjoy seeing the people that I chat with during the year on and off TF - to get to know them a little better and to meet some new ones - so if there is an auction, that's my cue to leave. If the auction is later in the event, half the people have left anyway and if it is earlier, the event becomes an auction. I'll gladly bring large slabs of ribs like usual and spend the time the day before slow cooking them. Also happy to help with the grill, cleanup and setup. I enjoy the entire event and will gladly make a donation in cash, tickets or goods. Just prefer not to have to listen to a loud auction for hours. That's me and I will go with the majority.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Brandon - Can't speak for Norm, Jerry, RJ and Co. but my impression is that we don't want this advertised far and wide. The intention is to keep it to the crabbing group because space is limited, the food is really cheap and we need to ensure that the crabbing board members get first priority. Hope that doesn't come across wrong but they sell every seat as it is... although that is a very kind offer you made. Others? Am I right? Jim

1 - 20 of 49 Posts