Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do the snoods/bungies last?

I would figure after a while the rubber on the inside would eventually dri-rot and not be stretchy any more.

I have used mine for 2 seasons and was wondering when they should be replaced. I had no problems the last time out, last fall.

John

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
Snood life can be detemined to a great degree by the quality of the material used to construct the snood.

Garbage in = garbage out. Bank on that!!!!

That's one major reason I will not use/sell anything but the absolute best material I can obtain. Way, way too much time, effort and labor go into making a good snood line. The individual that skimps on material pays a higher price sooner than expected. When consderable labor is involved in making any product, it is always best to begin with decent material. There's a lot of junk out there. Be smart when you select the material of your choice.

I have snood lines that have been in service over 4 years. They all need a bit of repair from time to time, however nothing major. I would expect for the average crabber that uses his line 18 to 25 times a season, if cared for properly, his line should last more than 10 years provided he began with good material. Refrain from buying the cheapest rubber hose to use for snubbers; it will be the first thing to fail. Quality bungee and main line are also extremely important. Most importantly, keep it out of the Sun and away from rodents and insects.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree with Jerry (Polecat) - while I break off some snoods during the season by catching them occasionally on bottom trash , mine have lasted for years. As Jerry stated...garbage in, garbage out - quality bungee, trotline, crab pot line, and material used for clam bags REALLY make the difference!

Now ,as far as Crabby and Son, it has to do with good CLEAN, living - maybe even some Quinine along the way!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,

That is a lot longer that I thought they would last.

I am pretty sure I got my bungy from Polecat, and use loctite #5. I should be good on materials.

Gary, only 57, I thought your snood would have been much older than that. It has probably lost it's elasticity, as well.

John

·
Registered
14,400 Posts
Thanks Guys,

That is a lot longer that I thought they would last.

I am pretty sure I got my bungy from Polecat, and use loctite #5. I should be good on materials.

Gary, only 57, I thought your snood would have been much older than that. It has probably lost it's elasticity, as well.

John
It has John......... it has gotten fairly rigid. dancedance...............gary

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
My snood is 57 years old and it still works great..........well maybe good !.............Gary
UNREAL! What did Toby Keith say "I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was"

I will say one thing, the bungee from Jerry is about 1000 times better than the "stuff" I bought from Millers Crabbing Supply. Jerry's has a very rough outer jacket, which while harder to make the snoods, works much better on the line. The rougher jacket grips the bait and the snubber really well. The stuff from Miller's is very soft and doesn't seem to stay as tight due to the smoother jacket. I seem to lose ALOT more baits due to the snoods loosening up.

Chris

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Chris - done workin: The stuff from Miller's is very soft and doesn't seem to stay as tight...

Gary's must be from Millers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts