Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished making all of my snoods and I forgot what I was told about the way to attach them to the soft lay line. Thanks Todd

·
Registered
15 Posts
We make a drop loop in the layline. Form a loop then tie the loop in an overhand knot to secure it, or form a loop and clip it with a hogtie so it doesn't slip. We then took our snoods and tied either a delrin clip or a small carabiner to the end of the snood. This way we can load the snnods with the bait the night before, put them in a bucket and put in the freezer or refrigerator. Then when laying the line it's easy to clip each snood on the loop as we put it out. It's also easy to unclip them as we recover the line at the end of the trip and we can reload the snoods that need it at home and put the bucket away ready for the next trip.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just curious. Why do you not permanently attach the snoods and fridge or freeze the whole line? Might save ya a lot of work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a good question! The answer is that we don't have enough refrigerator/freezer space for the whole line, 40 lbs of chicken necks, venison, goose, ICE etc. We can store 60-70 loaded snoods in a gallon ziplock, throw it in the freezer, and then transfer to the 'frige to thaw the night before we plan on going out. It is easier to work with loose snoods than to uncoil 600-1200 feet of line on the porch and listen to the wife complain about chicken neck all over the the place. Also, don't have to salt the lay line or wait for it to thaw. We can get 600' of lay line, anchors, floats and chain in a 5 gallon bucket and keep it on the boat or in the truck. All we have to lug is a gallon bucket or ziplock with the loaded snoods (and few extra snoods) and our bushel basket (hopefully full for one trip) back and forth.
And this way, we can rig the snoods while watching TV. (ok, maybe that's not a plus)

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
That's a good question! The answer is that we don't have enough refrigerator/freezer space for the whole line, 40 lbs of chicken necks, venison, goose, ICE etc. We can store 60-70 loaded snoods in a gallon ziplock, throw it in the freezer, and then transfer to the 'frige to thaw the night before we plan on going out. It is easier to work with loose snoods than to uncoil 600-1200 feet of line on the porch and listen to the wife complain about chicken neck all over the the place. Also, don't have to salt the lay line or wait for it to thaw. We can get 600' of lay line, anchors, floats and chain in a 5 gallon bucket and keep it on the boat or in the truck. All we have to lug is a gallon bucket or ziplock with the loaded snoods (and few extra snoods) and our bushel basket (hopefully full for one trip) back and forth.
And this way, we can rig the snoods while watching TV. (ok, maybe that's not a plus)
Mangojoe,

Welcome to Tidalfish and welcome to the Crabboard!! There is a great group of folks on this board that are willing to share lots of info and help each other in many ways. Thanks for sharing your trotline "system" with us--if it works well for you that is all that really matters.

My system is different but I am also limited by freezer space--I can't fit a baited line in the freezer. I am a rec and I have my line split into two separate 600 ft sections. I have snoods tied to softlay every 6 ft and each 600 ft section of baited trotline will just fit into a 3.5 gal bucket (available a Lowes in the paint section). The entire line (two buckets) fits into a 92 qt igloo cooler, which fits in my boat easily. After crabbing I remove the baits and store the line in a plastic fish basket so it gets air circulation to dry out beween trips.

When I buy necks I cut them in half and divide them into gallon bags befoe freezing. I thaw a few bags to bait the line with some leftover for traps/rings. I bait up the night before crabbing (or a few nights before if needed) and put the baited line on ice in the cooler.

Its a very good system and works well for me. Since I sometimes camp out and crab two consecutive days without returning home, I have been thinking about building a second line so I have a spare that can be baited in advance of a two-day trip. Currently I would need to re-bait the line after day one. Since MD DNR restricts how much line a rec can have on the water I would need to keep the spare line on shore but I could swap them between trips. Any crabs from day one are put in a cooler with ice on the bottom and the lid loose enough to get air to them and they keep well overnight even in the heat of summer

We will be dipping jimmies before much longer!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Try this.

Since chicken is so cheap by the case. Precut all of your baits and freeze them in gallon freezer bags. I run two 600' lines and put enough bait in 2 different bags to bait each line. Thaw it out a few days prior and rebait the night before. If you flatten the bags they stack very nicely in the freezer around all the rest of the meat.

With Jerry's snoods it only takes me about 25 minutes to bait the 1200'. Put the baited line in a cooler or bushel basket and throw a bag of ice on top overnight.

I rinse my line out each trip home and dry it in the sun. so it can be stored anywhere.

No problems.

Also when I am splitting the case up, I will freeze a couple of small sandwhich size 10 count bags for my traps. That way I just grab a few bags for my traps. 10 traps 1-bag, 20 traps-2 bags.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts