Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1) What distance do you space your snoods and (2) why do you choose to use that distance.

Two easy questions, requesting two separate answers.

BTW.... I couldn't care a crab's apron how long the snoods are.:D

Here's my four answers:

(A 1) For a neck line they are currently placed 48" apart.

(A2) That spacing puts plenty of bait & scent in the water to cover a good sized area for summer month crabbing when crabs are plentiful and close together. Keeps my dippers alert!

(B1) For a clam bag line I have lines made up with snoods spaced 10' apart. {I have used 8' and 12' spacings with similar results.} Ten foot spacing works well for me.

(B2) Fewer crabs very early and very late in the season require fewer baits. Baiting bags takes lots more time than baiting a neck line. There's no real need to have bags any closer, although there's nothing wrong with doing so. I'd rather have more bags strung out over a longer area than bunched up in the same place.

Why am I asking these questions?
Because postings have been a bit slim lately and this topic (to my recollection) has not been discussed on this board. However, it is a question that I am asked repeadly.

What are your answers?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
just....HOW LONG before crab season starts again? Jer...I knew this would happen to you one off- season.

Maybe we need a gathering before SF to ease the pain - like maybe WILD GAME (and Oyster) fest - WG&OFest

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I am a trap snatchin , hand lining, net them off of pilings, chicken necker.

I would like to make up a SL when time permits. That may be 09, who knows. Id try to buy one first I think.
In the past when I have crabbed a TL with nx direct the spacing between baits was about a 36"-48" spread over 600 feet and it was fine for me then. Generally, an arms spread.

I think I would tend to keep that general spread on a SL too using nx.
With clam bags I dont know. Id probably ask Polecat and do what he does since he is a fountain of crabbing knowledge. Id use two 600 foot lines, if regs permit, so I can lay them in differene areas to find the crabs. Id use c-tpx too if permitted.

Chuck, I am in!
:pp

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am building my new snood line now (with Polecat's supplies), I am placing them about 5ft apart, that way if I use clambags they will be a good distance from each other.Trial and error will dictate. Dipping will give you a little time if crabs are plentiful.

Timbass

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
just....HOW LONG before crab season starts again? Jer...I knew this would happen to you one off- season.

Maybe we need a gathering before SF to ease the pain - like maybe WILD GAME (and Oyster) fest - WG&OFest
I am down for the wild game fest. Hunting season starts up dec 16 for duck and goose. Give me about 5 or 7 hunts and I'll get the waterfowl. WoooooooooWeeeeeeeeeeee:clap:

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have a crabbin question polecat has the right answer.
His experience can save a man alot time & money
thanks again for all the help you have given me

·
Registered
371 Posts
Jerry,
Since I've been using the SL , I keep them 6' apart. That is about as close as I can get them and still be able to dip ,dump and get back for the next crab. It is also a convenient distance for me , its my wingspan. I used to do 9' prior to SL, so this me more baits 1/3 more which seems to work fine.
Dennis

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I also use 6 ft spacing, that is 200 baits on a 1200 ft line and it works well for me. I use only necks, and by cutting most of the necks in half that amount of bait allows me to bait the line about 3 times from a 40 lb box of necks, or twice if I am using a lot of necks in traps in addition to the trotline. I use both when the trotline is not producing well, or when I am looking around a lot to try to find the crabs.

Also I split my snoodline into 600 ft sections and place each baited half into a 3.5 gal bucket, both the buckets (containing the entire snoodline) fit into a large cooler so I can keep it iced down.

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Jerry, I have my snoods spaced every 4 feet.....BECAUSE THAT IS THE WAY THE LINE WAS WHEN YOU SOLD IT TO ME:clap::clap:........I do agree with more bait and smell in the water though. How ya doing old fella:thumbup:.........Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts