Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ultimate April Fools Joke on us all. What a crock of horse manure this has turned over.

Validated from a number of links by using Google search engine and "Did David and Barbara Mikkelson start Snopes.com?" Found info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snopes.com By the way, Wikipedia can be manipulated too.

Read on for more of the story.

I always found it interesting that there seemed to be a slant to a lot that was posted on the snopes.com web site and "whom" actually did the validation of the entries......

Getting so you can't trust anyone.

------------------------------------------------------------

For the past few years www.snopes.com has positioned itself, or others have labeled it, as the 'tell all final word' on any comment, claim and email.

But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was behind snopes.com. Only recently did Wikipedia get to the bottom of it - kinda makes you wonder what they were hiding. Well, finally we know. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby.

David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago - and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained popularity believing it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the past couple of years people started asking questions who was behind it and did they have a selfish motivation? The reason for the questions - or skepticisms - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also, there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to the 'true' bottom of various issues. I can personally vouch for that complaint.

A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across the internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place.

I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me) thinking he would want to get to the bottom of this and I gave him Bud Gregg's contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from Bud Gregg no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

Then it has been learned the Mikkelson's are Jewish - very Democratic (party) and extremely liberal. As we all now know from this presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself in their website findings. Gee, what a shock?

So, I say this now to everyone who goes to www.snopes.com to get what they think to be the bottom line facts...'proceed with caution.' Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus, you can always google a subject and do the research yourself. It now seems apparent that's all the Mikkelson's do. After all, I can personally vouch from my own experience for their 'not' fully looking into things.

So now for the "snopes" citation from CG!

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As usual refute the facts not the first reference you don't agree with!

And you have the gall to claim not to be the fat lap!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wiki can be written by anyone and changed by anyone.
You could have put it there. It is not a reliable site and most schools do not allow their children to use it.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at the refrences.......then follow the appropriate ones supporting the hypothesis.

Then make up YOUR MIND!

Fool.

References
  1. ^ Neil Henry, American Carnival: Journalism Under Siege in an Age of New Media (University of California Press 2007), p. 285.
  2. ^ "Messageboard post". snopes.com.
  3. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Pages: (Frequently Asked Questions)". snopes.com. Retrieved on 2006-06-09. "What are 'snopes'?"
  4. ^ a b c Paul Bond (2002-09-07). "Web site separates fact from urban legend". San Francisco Chronicle.
  5. ^ a b See Michele Tepper, "Usenet Communities and the Cultural Politics of Information" in David Porter, ed., Culture (1997) at 48 ("[T]he two most notorious trollers in AFU, Ted Frank and snopes, are also two of the most consistent posters of serious research.").
  6. ^ a b c Cathy Seipp (2004-07-21). "Where Urban Legends Fall". National Review Online.
  7. ^ CNN.com - Hear the rumor? Nostradamus and other tall tales - October 3, 2001
  8. ^ FOXNews.com - Teens Abusing Energy-Boosting Drinks, Doctors Fear - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
  9. ^ Urban Legends Banned-April Fools'! - ConsumerMan - MSNBC.com
  10. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Pages: Who Is Barack Obama?". Retrieved 22 January 2008.
  11. ^ The AFU & Urban Legends Archive
  12. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Pages: (Frequently Asked Questions)". (Re "How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?") Retrieved June 9, 2006.
  13. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Page: Lost Legends". Retrieved 9 June 2006.
  14. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Page: Lost Legends (False Authority)". Retrieved 9 June 2006.
  15. ^ "Urban Legends Reference Pages: Humor (Mostly True Stories)". Retrieved 20 June 2006.
  16. ^ Snopes peddling malware - TechSpot
I have no intention to defend wiki.... it is what it is.

Why defend snopes?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Snopes directs people to more information about various hoaxes, especially in regard to chain e-mails. Although they research their topics heavily and provide references when possible, not all of their sources (especially personal interviews, phone calls, or e-mails) are fully verifiable. Where appropriate, pages are generally marked "undetermined" or "unverifiable" if the Mikkelsons feel there is not enough evidence to either support or disprove a given claim.

The site is sometimes confused with The AFU and Urban Legends Archive,[11] a similar site run by the denizens of alt.folklore.urban, which houses that newsgroup's FAQ.

The Mikkelsons have stressed the reference portion of the name Urban Legends Reference Pages, indicating that their intention is not merely to dismiss or confirm misconceptions and rumors but to provide evidence for such debunkings and confirmations as well.[12] In an attempt to demonstrate the perils of overreliance on authority, the Mikkelsons created a series of fabricated urban folklore tales that they term The Repository of Lost Legends.[13] (The name was chosen for its acronym, T.R.O.L.L., a reference to the early 1990s definition of the word troll to mean an Internet prank, of which David Mikkelson was a prominent practitioner.[5]) One fictional legend averred that the children's nursery rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence" was really a coded reference used by pirates to recruit members. (This parodied a real false legend surrounding "Ring Around the Rosie"'s link to the bubonic plague.) Although the creators were sure that no one could believe a tale so ridiculous - and had added a link[14] at the bottom of the page to another page explaining the hoax, and a message with the ratings reading "Note: Any relationship between these ratings and reality is purely coincidental." - eventually the legend was featured as true in an urban legends board game and TV show.[15] Wickipedia

Seems a very reasonable attempt at validity to me....but then I can think. I actually looked at some of the references and from the content of these references I can easily conclude that Ratherfish did not....just another meaningless post by our site sociopathic idiot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts